Favourite Computer Game Categories?

For discussions about art; including film, music, drawing, painting, etc.
Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm

I've been interested in starting a thread about what kind of games you take to, and after reading Alty's one dealing specifically with one's being played right now, I figured I'll get this one up.

Personally, my favourite kind of games are the ones that allow me to roam huge worlds. The three main games I've played that ticks all the boxes for me is Final Fantasy XII, Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas), and Vagrant Story. I love fantasy as I've mentioned previously, so I love getting immersed into these kind of worlds. I do like magic, so I do take to games such as Final Fantasy (in fact this is my favourite game that I've played in the last half decade), and I do love to have a plotline or a story of some kind.

The reason I liked San Andreas was yes, it had a huge world, and it had the usual blowing things up, but I took to it personally because I got on with the storyline or the plot, I became immersed with CJ going through his kind of hell. GTA in general is a good series because it just has something for everyone. If all you ever want to do is blow stuff up, you can. If you want to play the missions, you can. If you want to have fun with cheats, you can. Personally I get bored with games where the soul purpose is to fight and shoot something, it seems a bit pointless to me, but GTA doesn't seem to have that problem.

Another kind of game I do love playing is where I'm expected to build something of some kind. I used to love Sim City 2000 because I could basically take control of everything (the water supply, electricity, train lines, houses, businesses, etc). I used to love playing Zoo Tycoon as well though for similar reasons.

From the top of my head, this is a list of my favourite games that've played in the past:
  • Vagrant Story (PS1)
  • Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
  • Grand Theft Auto (PS2)
  • Zoo Tycoon II (PC)
  • Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
  • Rayman (PS1)
  • Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
  • Ratchet and Clank (PS2)
  • Devil Dice! (PS1)
  • Tomb Raider (PS1, PS2)
  • Unreal Tournament! (PC) - Capture the Flag, Assault and Onslaught.
  • Driver (PS1, PS2)

Alty

Postby Alty » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

This is the order in preference of my single player favorite catagories

RPG / Adventure - Skyrim, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Shadowrun (original Snes version)
Action Adventure - Grand Theft Autos from San Andreas onwards, Far Cry 3
Action FPS Story - All the Halo games (apart from 4 that I haven't played yet)
Building Simulation - Simcity (Snes version), Theme Park
Driving - Grand Turismo, Rally Games
Adventure / Puzzle - Tomb Raider
Platformers - Every single Rayman + Mario and the old Sonic and Mickey's Adventure on the Sega Gamegear

Multiplayer

FPS - Battlefield 3
MMO - Guild Wars 2

Least preferred games are

Beat em ups like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter, although I've played them allot they seem only fun for about 5 minutes

Sports Games

Snowcrow
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Snowcrow » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Rts games, hands down.
It's like crack for my brain. I love building bases and watching my army burn the enemy stronghold to the ground.
I remember getting my dad's old pc. Played Age of Empires 2 all night long. Wololo :D
A few years later a game called C&C Generals came out. Holy crap that game was fun.
I always chose China, fortified my base and built a ton on nuclear bombs, destroying the enemy in one swift stroke.

And in 2007 a game called Supreme commmander launched. This game was a revolution and a huge step forward for the rts genre. MASSIVE maps with literally HUNDREDS of tanks and air planes clashed together, creating the most epic battles ever seen in a video game. You could zoom all the way down to watch a single unit or zoom all the way out to watch the entire theatre of war.

I'm now waiting in anticipation for the next game from these guys. Planetary Annihilation will launch later this year and you'll be able to fight across multiple planets! Even build massive engines on asteroids and crash it into planets, creating massive craters or even destroying it completely.

Alty

Postby Alty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Snowcrow wrote:A few years later a game called C&C Generals came out. Holy crap that game was fun.

wow, Command and Conquer Generals, that brought back memories, that was also another of my favourite games. I spent many many hours mining for minerals, building jet pack armys, getting people to rank up so they were super human and upgrading mamoth tanks to take out air and ground forces.

I'm going to go and have a look for something similar and recent that is out now.

NEWSFLASH!! Command and Conquer Generals 2 is coming out in 2013!! :jumping:

Snowcrow
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Snowcrow » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Alty wrote:NEWSFLASH!! Command and Conquer Generals 2 is coming out in 2013!! :jumping:

YEEEAAAAH :D

LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Postby LoneApothecary » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Role playing games are by far my favorite. I generally prefer real time combat to turn based combat, but I have played some great turn based games. A good story, interesting characters, and an interesting world to explore are what tend to make a game enjoyable for me. I can deal with clunky game mechanics if the story, the characters, and/or the world is interesting enough (such is the case with games like Risen and Gothic). Sometimes, though, the gameplay really clicks and I can enjoy a game even if there's hardly any story or interesting characters at all (such is the case with the Monster Hunter series).
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

happykelp

Postby happykelp » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm also an RPG fan. PS2 is still my favorite console. My two top favorites in PS2 are Dark Cloud 2 and Star Ocean TTEOT. In other consoles, my favorites are Pokemon, Ragnarok Online 1, and Trickster Online. There is a new game called Tree of Savior that is still in development and I'm really excited to play. You should check it out if you also like RO. It looks very promising.

Return to “Creative Arts”