The Writing Thread

For discussions about art; including film, music, drawing, painting, etc.
Lorn

The Writing Thread

Postby Lorn » Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 am

Just curious, does anyone here enjoy writing anything along the lines of short stories, novels, or other pieces?

I'm thankful for free time this summer so that I can try to complete a short fantasy novel revolving around dreams and the shadow self. I've usually written short stories because I'm less likely to get carried away and lose track of what I'm doing, so this is a big project for me. :oops:

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

The Writing Thread

Postby Kurtis » Tue May 13, 2014 2:04 am

Lorn wrote:Just curious, does anyone here enjoy writing anything along the lines of short stories, novels, or other pieces?

I'm thankful for free time this summer so that I can try to complete a short fantasy novel revolving around dreams and the shadow self. I've usually written short stories because I'm less likely to get carried away and lose track of what I'm doing, so this is a big project for me. :oops:

I used to love writing stories, it was one of my favourite past-times and was one of the key ways of creating and building my own world. I used to write and develop novels, when I was back in school I did a couple of stories that were about 100 pages worth of A4 paper (which was a lot back then, especially for me). I haven't had the motivation recently (due to problems and the like) to start and finish novels though, unfortunately.

Creating stories is a brilliant way of turning a 'dream-world' into some form of reality I find, and as a story-writer it's good to get ideas on form like this, but it can also challenge the 'audience' and take them into a new world of their own as well. That's part of the beauty in (good) 'art.'

RichTales

The Writing Thread

Postby RichTales » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:25 am

I've always enjoyed writing. I wrote my first poem at about age 8 or 9. I'll never forget that one.
'Spring has Sprung, Summer's gone
And not it's time for the Autumn song'
I went home and recited it to my mother. She laughed and told me that gone doesn't rhyme with song.
Well, to an Okie boy with and Okie twang, it sure did! LOL! I never really liked my mother after that.

nicoclone

Re: The Writing Thread

Postby nicoclone » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:50 pm

i also enjoy writing stories and i am gonna use them for my game story... what story that you were talking about Lorn, that revolving around dream and shadowself???

Xsolrac
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby Xsolrac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:42 am

I used to love to write big stories, but now my story writting inspiration is mostly gone and sometimes I write a bit. I do like to write a whole lot of poetry though.
Why does it has to be that way?

DC1346

Postby DC1346 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Since I am a teacher during this summer's leave I wrote a 38,000 word children's novel for intermediate elementary students about my cats (from the point of view of my cats) and have sent my manuscript to a literary agent for review.

As a professional chef, I have also contributed articles to various online publications.

As someone who is autistic (high performing spectrum, Asperger's Syndrome) I used to participate rather extensively in an online Asperger's forum but finally became tired of offering constructive advice after reading too many "woe is me" posts in which people complained about their fear of the outside world and the fact that they were socially awkward.

Sadly the only remedy towards fear of the unknown is to actively face it. Accumulated life experiences build confidence as well as a "go to" menu of sorts for dealing with others. Self pity really doesn't accomplish anything. Although I tried to phrase my constructive criticism as nicely as possible, I soon got to the point of being utterly frustrated with the whimper-whimper-whine-whine attitude of too many people who have chosen to allow their condition to define them instead of embracing the positive traits of Asperger's and moving on. Rather than become a naysayer or worse yet, a troll, I decided to move on myself and no longer participate in the aforementioned forum.

Return to “Creative Arts”