Uninvited Guests

Post here for any topics about introversion in general.
Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Uninvited Guests

Postby Orientalist » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:54 am

After I retired I met up with a guy I'd known since the 70s but not seen much over the years. We started having lunch together, which was very enjoyable as we could talk about the good old days in Asia and had other interests in common. After about a year he invited another guy along, who loved talking so much he actually smacked his lips as he talked. He had a personal story about any topic anyone brought up. Then other guys turned up. They were all American or had worked there, whereas I am not. Lunch with 5 guys talking about American football? I don't think so.

I started skipping the lunches. I also realised my original friend, Harry, was a raging extrovert who couldn't stand being alone. As soon as he had other friends to lunch with he stopped calling to invite me. Another American friend, Peter, then turned up. I'd known him since the 70s and hadn't seen him for 20 years. We had interests in common, such as live music.

Since I was now avoiding the lunches, partly because they were boring and partly because talking had become physically painful (as I suffer from neuralgia), Peter called me one day and said we should have lunch together. That sounded good. Half an hour before we were due to meet Peter called to say he was bringing his girlfriend and son along. Wonderful.

Anyway, lunch wasn't bad but I didn't get to talk to Peter all that much. We decided to go somewhere else for coffee. Five minutes later I see Peter on the phone, and 10 minutes later Harry turns up. It seems with extroverts, the more the merrier. Having company is like an addiction for them.

Needless to say, I avoid them all now. I've had a partner for the past year so I really don't need the company of people talking about boring stuff.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

tongue35

Re: Uninvited Guests

Postby tongue35 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:31 am

"Talking about boring stuff"

This is what kills me about extroverts..they seem super content with just talking about mindless topics..they just seem fine with being around you whereas I start losing energy very fast when we aren't talking about an interesting topic..I was with a buddy the other night and 2 of his buddies show up..what was once a decent one on one conversation turned into 3 adults trying to "one up" each other..it was almost painful and I have no desire to do that again..it's hard to tell a friend about our social tastes..

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:43 am

Yes. Pretty quickly everyone is talking over the top of everyone else. Why is it people can't wait for you to finish a sentence before they butt in and start their own topic? The satisfaction in a conversation for them seems to be to talk rather than to listen.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Daisy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:45 am

I don't see my daughter often because she and her husband are such extroverts. Whenever she invites us to her house there are always a crowd there too. I haven't said anything, but we don't stay long, always with some excuse why we have to leave.

nicoclone

Postby nicoclone » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:51 am

Well, extrovert like to talk about useless topic so their brain is as rotten as the way they are talking.. on the other hand, we introvert dont like to waste previous time and talking about more intelligent and important topic so well, our brain is more refined than their extrovert brain ×D... well, you do know that extrovert like to talk with people that talking bullshit too and talkative.. so i understand why you felt to be replaced by uninvited guest LOL.. well, the best talking buddy for introvert is their own kind, introvert too. Maybe most introvert motto is always listening always understanding (prudential motto).. on the other hand, extrovert's is always talking bullshit always interrupting introvert... Well, that is all.

Return to “Introversion”