Share Your Awkward Tales of Introversion

Post here for any topics about introversion in general.
supervillin
MBTI code: INFJ

Share Your Awkward Tales of Introversion

Postby supervillin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm sure we all have some truly awkward tales of being an introvert and I thought it would be a great to have a place to have a laugh and share them!

I will go first:

One Introvert In the Building!

Around my junior year of college I (and my parents) decided it was time for me to move out. None of my friends wanted to move out of their parents house and I couldnt afford to get an apartment on my own so moving to a dorm at college seemed like the only option. What a nightmare, I need my alone time to recharge and thinking of sharing a closet size room with one other roommate seemed like a nightmare. But when filling out the application for a dorm for my college there was a shining light of hope!

On the application they had a option to stay on the "quiet floor". Holy shit! There will be an entire floor of introverts just like me and we have a entire floor for us! Some of my panic of moving out was relieved and in a month or two I was off.

I was the first to arrive at the dorm building. Found my room with my name on the door and my roommates name and started to unpack. People started arriving a little at a time and we were all told that 7pm was our floor meeting where we would all be introduced to each other and the floor peer leader or something. I noticed right off something was not right. These people were so loud and so talkative and .....so loud! I was instantly paralyzed by all the social interaction, it was a floor the size of a small house packed every square inch with people. Everyone was introducing themselves and something just didnt feel right to me.

That night we had our floor meeting. The floor peer leader was telling us where everything was then we all went around and introduced ourselfs. It was awkward everything I feared it would be and nothing I hoped it would be. When the hell does the quiet floor become the quite floor I wondered. Then the bomb was dropped.

The floor peer leader said that there was an overcrowding problem and that this floor was intended to be the quiet floor. Everyone laughed and moaned at the idea, even the fucking peer leader. I was horrified. She continued laughing and said, yes this is supposed to be the quiet floor but since we had so many applications come in and since only two people applied for the quite floor we grouped those two in one room and the rest of the floor was filled with normal applications. I was sick, I thought I was going to pass out. No one on this floor wanted to be here except me and one other guy, and now the quiet floor was just transformed back into the a party floor. I lost the only thing that was going to help me keep my sanity!

I was blown away. I got back to my room and said to my roommate, how horrible is this, me and you filled out the application for the quite floor and since not enough people singed up for it we have to share it with a bunch of loud parties! He informed me that he didnt care and he never filled out the application, his mom had done it probably because she thought it would help him study.....I was screwed.....worst 4 months of my life!

It was so bad I left every Friday after class in the afternoon and slept on my dads couch all weekend. At the end of the semester I was gone! I found an amazing apartment ALONE with no roommates and I could actually sleep, I could actually study and my grades an mood improved dramatically. I will never try to fit in somewhere I dont need to be ever again, haha! What a nightmare!
Last edited by supervillin on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCawfle
MBTI code: INTJ
Facebook: Nimrod Funk

Re: Share Your Embarrassing Tales of Introversion

Postby MrCawfle » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Wow. That bites. Our personal hell. Let me think about my personal tales of woe.

Justwatching

Re: Share Your Embarrassing Tales of Introversion

Postby Justwatching » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 pm

An interesting read, though I'm not sure I could spot the embarrassment. Sounds like a lousy situation all the same. I had to live with loud people at uni as well. I wasn't under any illusion of getting a quiet life though.

supervillin

Re: Share Your Awkward Tales of Introversion

Postby supervillin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 pm

MrCawfle- personal hell is right!

Justwatching- your right, i changed it to "share your AWKWARD stories" instead of embarrassing stories, haha, i'm sure there are a ton of them out there in this forum!

MrCawfle

Postby MrCawfle » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Personal hell
Yeah, try working in a prison. An extrovert's paradise!

Justwatching

Postby Justwatching » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:42 am

MrCawfle wrote:Yeah, try working in a prison.

Funnily enough, I did try, but was told I didn't show enough empathy :violin:

Don't you love role play scenarios?!

MrCawfle

Postby MrCawfle » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Ummmm, where I come from, empathy is a minus. I'd hire you in a second.

swift502

Postby swift502 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:01 pm

I started going to this summer camp with national English speakers and English lessons when I was 15. I really liked it and willingly attended it, as it incredibly improved my English every single year. I was very awkward with people but didn't consider it a problem, as it's been like this my whole life, and the whole camp lasted for only 7 days, and then I'd never meet any of the people there.

I went there for the third time when I turned 17. The age gap between me and other kids there had been growing, since there was a lot of younger children. I never read much before, but that week I spent every spare moment reading. And I honestly didn't even realise. It must've been my way of protecting myself from too much socializing (it was still a summer camp with tons of socializing). I would wake up an hour before everyone else just to go out on a bench, which was wet because of a rain the night before, to read and be alone for that precious hour. I'd read after lunch, before lessons, after lessons, after dinner, and so on. Always isolated from everyone else.

Around five days has passed and I have pretty much spoke to 1% of people in the whole camp. The rest of the time I was attending English lessons or reading. So I'm somewhere outside again with my book when this lady, who supervises younger children comes to me with a serious face and asks me if I attended the camp voluntarily or if my parents forced me to go. When I said that I'm there to learn some English she asked why am I so anti-social, and why do I never speak to anyone. She was actually worried if I'm ok. That's when I woke up and realised that during the 5 days I hadn't been doing anything besides from reading, and that it might have seemed a bit strange to other people. I assured her that I'm ok and that I just like to be alone, which didn't really justify my behavior during that week

That was the last time I went there. Don't know what's the moral of the story. Just wanted to share.

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:19 am

I went back to a grammar school class reunion after 40 years and no one spoke to me unless I kind of forced myself on them. The organizer didn't speak to me, even though I had come from half way across the world, and I spent a lot of time sitting on my own. :violin:

The guys who were popular at school were popular at the reunion.

If there's a 50-year reunion, I won't be going! This was a boys-only school. If it had been a mixed get-together, I think I might have enjoyed it. Maybe. :D
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

supervillin

Postby supervillin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:46 pm

swift502- i really enjoyed your story and can relate! thank you for sharing!

Orientalist- hilarious, haha! definitely an awkward tale, i reminds me of my mom telling me the story of trying to help organize her highschool reunion, they called on woman to attend and her exact reply was "no i'm not attending, i didnt like you guys then, what makes you think i would like you now!" haha! yeah, i've successfully avoided all my reunions!

tongue35

Postby tongue35 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 pm

well looking back i think my awkwardness comes from mostly avoiding people(friends and family) due to my introversion..i mean, i feel awkward when i am usually turning down invitations to do this or that..or i feel awkward when i dont answer the phone or return phone-calls promptly..it also feels awkward when i do answer the phone and i am talking to this person and im drained and the conversation is going in circles..the person is going on and on about his/her life and im like figuring out any type of excuse to get off the phone..

so with me, its usually the way i try and avoid social situations that make me feel awkward..

supervillin

Postby supervillin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:49 pm

tongue35 wrote: its usually the way i try and avoid social situations that make me feel awkward..

man do i understand that!

something i saw the other day that i thought of reading your post: 17 Graphs That Are Way Too Real For Introverts

EmeraldLion

Postby EmeraldLion » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:46 pm

This isn't really awkward, but I was kinda annoyed.

So I was on a mission trip with my youth group to Philadelphia. There were a bunch of other youth groups there, too, naturally. We all stayed at a school (it was summer, so it wasn't being used). One day, after we all got back from our work sites, I was drained and needed some alone time.

Now, before I continue, let me tell you what it was like at the school where we stayed...

So all the girls slept in classrooms and the boys slept in the gym. It was the hottest frickin week, I swear, and there was no AC (the school was pretty old). And as I said before, there were a bunch of other youth groups from different churches all across the country there. As you can imagine, it was pretty LOUD... There was literally no escape from people. Not even the classroom I and the other girls from my group (and some other girls from another group) were assigned to. We had a schedule, so there was hardly any time to be alone.

Here's where I left off (hopefully I didn't bore everybody to sleep with that pointless description)

I got a book and sat on a bench outside. It was about 5 minute when these two girls come up to me and ask, "Are you okay?" I say I am. They're like, "You're not supposed to be out by yourself, they want people to use the buddy-system when you're outside."

I told them how I just needed some alone time.

One of them told me how she COMPLETELY understands and hates when people talk to her too much... I'm sitting there thinking, "YEAH I KNOW THE FEELING!!" So then they ask me if I want to meet their group.

Inside I'm screaming "DON'T DO IT!!!" But I said sure.

So they introduce me to their group, and I'm just awkwardly standing there fake smiling while they're all being loud. When I managed to escape it was time for dinner...

And those 5 minutes were the only time I managed to spend on my own.

Annie

Postby Annie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:17 pm

EmeraldLion wrote:This isn't really awkward, but I was kinda annoyed.

So I was on a mission trip with my youth group to Philadelphia. There were a bunch of other youth groups there, too, naturally. We all stayed at a school (it was summer, so it wasn't being used). One day, after we all got back from our work sites, I was drained and needed some alone time.

Now, before I continue, let me tell you what it was like at the school where we stayed...

So all the girls slept in classrooms and the boys slept in the gym. It was the hottest frickin week, I swear, and there was no AC (the school was pretty old). And as I said before, there were a bunch of other youth groups from different churches all across the country there. As you can imagine, it was pretty LOUD... There was literally no escape from people. Not even the classroom I and the other girls from my group (and some other girls from another group) were assigned to. We had a schedule, so there was hardly any time to be alone.

Here's where I left off (hopefully I didn't bore everybody to sleep with that pointless description)

I got a book and sat on a bench outside. It was about 5 minute when these two girls come up to me and ask, "Are you okay?" I say I am. They're like, "You're not supposed to be out by yourself, they want people to use the buddy-system when you're outside."

I told them how I just needed some alone time.

One of them told me how she COMPLETELY understands and hates when people talk to her too much... I'm sitting there thinking, "YEAH I KNOW THE FEELING!!" So then they ask me if I want to meet their group.

Inside I'm screaming "DON'T DO IT!!!" But I said sure.

So they introduce me to their group, and I'm just awkwardly standing there fake smiling while they're all being loud. When I managed to escape it was time for dinner...

And those 5 minutes were the only time I managed to spend on my own.

That would drive me insane!!
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Return to “Introversion”