What if introverts took dopamine blockers?

Post here for any topics about introversion in general.
awww

Postby awww » Sat May 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I read that introversion is mainly caused by to much dopamine. What would happen if we took dopamine blockers?

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

You'll have to submit a source, I don't understand how 'too much of anything causes introversion.' Introversion is not an affliction. I remember reading something about introverts having more of certain chemicals inside a certain region in their brains than extraverts, but there's a difference between side-effects and causes.

awww

Postby awww » Sat May 03, 2014 9:52 pm

http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2011 ... roversion/

It's towards the bottom where it says dopamine and the brain

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kurtis » Sat May 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Introverts thus find themselves in constant danger of being over-stimulated or “flooded” by dopamine. Introverts therefore exhibit certain empirical commonalities, however different their personalities may otherwise be.

From personal experience, I would say this is true in the sense that there is a danger of being both overstimulated and flooded and I suspect it's probably dopamine that is causing that feeling, but I still doubt that it's the 'cause' of introversion. I get the feeling that this rush of dopamine is a side-effect of being introverted (or that's how I interpreted it when I first read this). Of course, I'm no scientist and it would require a lot more study on the matter.

Many introverts report that they experience their introversion as a handicap in a society where extroverts set the agenda: Because introverts may be soft-spoken and slow to adapt to new input, they are often overlooked in social situations, and the outcome of the introvert’s carefully used cognitive processes never enter into play, which is a shame because introverts are often able to tenaciously concentrate on a specific topic for long periods of time and therefore can be incredibly creative and original.

I can relate to that quite easily as well; being introverted in an extraverted society can be extremely hellish. Nevertheless, this reminded me of this article. I agree with its general point that introverts in general can be (and usually are) overlooked for more boastful, loud and often obnoxious people. We're in a society that's built by extraverts for extraverts.

awww

Postby awww » Sat May 03, 2014 11:52 pm

What do you think dopamine blockers would do? People with Schizophrenia use them for their attacks.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kurtis » Sun May 04, 2014 2:32 am

I suspect it would turn an 'introvert' into a zombie (if I have the effects down correctly). We could have the definitions the wrong way round as well; if we take this part from Wikipedia, it's actually the extraverts who have higher levels of dopamine:

Extraversion has been linked to higher sensitivity of the mesolimbic dopamine system to potentially rewarding stimuli.[20] This in part explains the high levels of positive affect found in extraverts, since they will more intensely feel the excitement of a potential reward. One consequence of this is that extraverts can more easily learn the contingencies for positive reinforcement, since the reward itself is experienced as greater.

In short, I can't really comment on what a dopamine blocker would do because I'm not 100% certain of its effects. I'm not sure what dopamine itself is either. Maybe someone with a bit more of a scientific background could fill in.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 pm

It'd turn us into zombies? Well, now we have a way to get back at everyone else if they keep pestering us
Hi, mac!

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kurtis » Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 pm

SandWshooter wrote:It'd turn us into zombies? Well, now we have a way to get back at everyone else if they keep pestering us

:ecstatic: The logic seemed to be if dopamine blocks out what's supposed to make us a human being, then yeah, it would turn us into zombies... :P A big emphasis on the 'IF' :D

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Mon May 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Kurtis wrote: :ecstatic: The logic seemed to be if dopamine blocks out what's supposed to make us a human being, then yeah, it would turn us into zombies... :P A big emphasis on the 'IF' :D

Zoloft'll do so, as well
Hi, mac!

tongue35

Postby tongue35 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:30 am

dopamine blockers would just make most introverts even less social and engaged i think..what introverts need imo are dopamine boosters...i have experimented with chemicals that raise dopamine and i definitely become more social and engaged..problem is, these types of chemicals usually increase anxiety and have other side effects..plus, when drug wears off, you are back to living inside your head..

awww

Postby awww » Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 am

tongue35 wrote:dopamine blockers would just make most introverts even less social and engaged i think..what introverts need imo are dopamine boosters...i have experimented with chemicals that raise dopamine and i definitely become more social and engaged..problem is, these types of chemicals usually increase anxiety and have other side effects..plus, when drug wears off, you are back to living inside your head..

Guess it's best for a job interview lol

Qewbahtiar

Re: What if introverts took dopamine blockers?

Postby Qewbahtiar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Dopamine blockers by stopping transfer the information in neuron. It's same to chemicals (drug) were being blocks to submitted other dopamine. It maybe extrovert became introvert , when you're introvert and taking with chemical, become extremely introvert. Still standing quite and drained energy.

Return to “Introversion”