Putting your whole life online?

For topics regarding philosophy, science, religion and other similar discussions.
Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Sunny49 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I wonder what do you guys think about this trend nowadays of putting your whole life online....on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube....I remember when the internet started everyone was trying to be anonymous and now it doesn´t matter anymore. I´ve been watching some vlogs recently on Youtube and I´ve been thinking what does motivate those people to film everything about their lifes and post on the internet (except money of course)....I´m not judging or anything, just contemplating :D I guess Andy Warhol was right when he said that in the future everyone will be famous for 5 minutes, lol.

Here´s just an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpGGQ9oVXz4

scott85
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby scott85 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:42 pm

I definitely don't post everything. I don't think FB or any of the others is supposed to be a "life feed"
People that don't understand you can't help you

LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Postby LoneApothecary » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:59 pm

I think it's interesting, but not in the sense that it appeals to me personally. My interest is in the people who find this sort of thing appealing. I'm also curious about what, aside from money, as you said, motivates these people. A desire for recognition and a need to entertain are the two biggest reasons that come to my mind, but I'm fairly sure there are countless other reasons.

What I find even more interesting than the people putting their lives online are the people who read/watch the stuff the people putting their lives online are posting. Living vicariously through someone else online doesn't seem appealing to me at all, and I wonder how it could be appealing to someone else.
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Postby IWHMA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Yeah I agree that it seems odd when people post everything online. And it truly is even more strange if people look at it all. Even though I love my friends and am interested in their lives, I am only interested in what matters, not what they had for breakfast. It's like the difference between small talk and a deep conversation. People post things about themselves that would be things I would never share with anyone aside from a spouse or maybe really close friend.

Snowcrow
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Snowcrow » Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Privacy is dead, that's for sure. Kinda makes sense though. The more extroverted you are, the more you crave attention. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes it's gets a bit silly though. Like a friend of mine who ALWAYS has to take pictures when he has people over. And of course he has to take pictures of the food.

Mads
MBTI code: ISTP

Postby Mads » Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 am

i think people that do it are either do it for the money (like those people that document their whole life of vlog) or attention whoring - or BOTH.

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Postby Annie » Mon May 19, 2014 9:27 pm

I like to post pictures of food on Facebook because some of my friends also like looking at food so we get ideas from each other.
I like to post pictures of my guinea pigs on Facebook just...I feel like it xD
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Creativespirit

Postby Creativespirit » Tue May 20, 2014 2:32 am

Annie, you wrote that you like to post pictures of food, and pics of Guinea pigs. If you were from South America, the Guinea pigs could BE the food. ( I used to own two, and learned that they are a food item there.) But back to the topic: like the rest of you, I have also questioned the motivation of those who feel the need to post every detail of their lives on social media such as Facebook. Speaking as someone who loves writing, I can imagine the enjoyment of writing stories (or whatever) that others find entertaining. So I think that some people are writers who are hoping their blog will end up making money. The problem is that if your blog doesn't take off, you have wasted lots of time. Personally, I don't read any blogs. If I want to read about someone, I'll get a biography or autobiography from the library. And what of those bloggers who are not aspiring to be writers? I can only imagine that they are narcissists, who think that everyone is as interested in their lives as they are. GLURG! BAAARF!

Lorn

Postby Lorn » Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm

I think I'm in the minority that finds it creepy for total strangers I can't even see ogling my life and my business. I put very little online, even for people who have access to my Facebook.

It's also a security risk when people broadcast personal information along with their picture, address, etc, especially when they let everyone know when they're going to be out of town and their house with all those nice possessions they've been posting photos of will be empty.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Daisy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm not on Facebook, I was for awhile but am so glad I'm not now.

I agree with what you said Lorn.

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:08 am

I find Facebook useful for keeping in touch with old friends and allowing school friends to find me. My name and profile photo is available to all FB users, but anything else is strictly for a small group of friends. I don't do Instagram.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Raincloud
MBTI code: INFP

Re: Putting your whole life online?

Postby Raincloud » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't even like to post my picture online. Usually I use a photo of my cat(s) as a profile pic, so maybe each of my cats will be famous for 5 minutes, lol. I mostly post links to articles I think at least some of my online friends will find interesting. There are things I post about myself online, such as in profiles, but they are fairly general, just specific enough to be about me, and not much that's very personal. So it probably gets boring for anyone to read all my profiles on all the sites I belong to, since theyr'e pretty much all the same.

I don't even really like Facebook very much. I mainly have an account to keep in touch with family and a few old friends I never see in real life. The site itself irritates me no end.

I sometimes post things about my life that I think are a big deal, such as when something disastrous or momentous happens.

Yes, I have wondered about those who post a lot of detail about their lives online, and some of it is attention grabbing, but I wonder if some of it isn't just a sign of loneliness and reaching out.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Re: Putting your whole life online?

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Raincloud wrote:I don't even like to post my picture online. Usually I use a photo of my cat(s) as a profile pic, so maybe each of my cats will be famous for 5 minutes, lol. I mostly post links to articles I think at least some of my online friends will find interesting. There are things I post about myself online, such as in profiles, but they are fairly general, just specific enough to be about me, and not much that's very personal. So it probably gets boring for anyone to read all my profiles on all the sites I belong to, since theyr'e pretty much all the same.

I don't even really like Facebook very much. I mainly have an account to keep in touch with family and a few old friends I never see in real life. The site itself irritates me no end.

I sometimes post things about my life that I think are a big deal, such as when something disastrous or momentous happens.

Yes, I have wondered about those who post a lot of detail about their lives online, and some of it is attention grabbing, but I wonder if some of it isn't just a sign of loneliness and reaching out.

... ditto.

Return to “World Theory”