Freedom of speech

For topics regarding philosophy, science, religion and other similar discussions.
Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Freedom of speech

Postby Justwatching » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:37 pm

I see freedom of speech coming under frequent attack and the direction of public opinion alarms me. The notion that free speech doesn't apply to certain topics/words seems to be gaining political traction. What are your thoughts on the matter?

What do you think it means for our other freedoms if such a fundamental corner stone of western civilization is put up for debate?

I worry us westerners have become spoilt. Our generation has never had our freedom threatened and had to defend it. As a result we take it for granted, not realising what it's worth. We squander our inheritance.

And what is free speech being dismantled for? To protect people from being offended.

Talk about selling the family silver for peanuts...

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Re: Freedom of speech

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:59 am

Freedom of speech is supposed to protect people from persecution from the government. It was never really intended for it to mean people can spout off what they like whenever they like, but it's a side-effect of that protection nevertheless. Having it put up to debate by the very same people that freedom of speech is supposed to keep in line is quite scary and people should be up in arms about it, but I do think you're right westerners have become too adjusted to it and don't realise what's at stake.

I think the UK government at the very least, are getting far too cocky and think they can run the country like a loose-cannon. People can only suffer and be neglected so much before they say enough's enough and they begin to retaliate.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 am

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, anyone that tries to restrict it ought to be strung up as a traitor
Hi, mac!

DC1346

Postby DC1346 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:36 am

Freedom of speech has been abridged in some cases by political correctness.

With this being said, it should be understood that in the United States, there is no absolute right towards freedom of speech. For example, it is illegal to yell, "FIRE!" whilst in a crowded theater if there is no fire. Inciting panic and possibly calling injury is quite illegal.

It has also been long recognized that our schools are not bastions of free speech. If free speech was absolute, kids could chatter at their heart's content, thereby disrupting lessons. Gang members could wear their "colors" and by doing so, could antagonize members affiliated with other gangs. Racists, sexists, atheists, and people of all types of political persuasion, could wear t-shirts bearing inflammatory messages that could upset other people and undermine the school environment ... so schools have dress codes, policies, and regulations that currently trump 1st Amendment rights.

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:29 am

Even university students now feel that the possibility of someone being offended trumps free speech. Last week's episode of Blue Bloods touched on this.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:35 am

I think any attempts to put any restrictions on free speech (hate speech laws, suspension of rights to protest, bans on dissident speech, suppression of unpopular political views) should be legally considered an act of treason, but with a change of sentencing from life imprisonment back to execution. 100 thousand dollar reward for information leading to a conviction of treason

Dianne Feinstein put forth another bill to ban non-government controlled news? Sorry bitch, you're getting shot on live television. Google try to suppress political sources it doesn't agree with? Have fun in court
Hi, mac!

Return to “World Theory”