The Greatest Flaw of Humanity??

For topics regarding philosophy, science, religion and other similar discussions.
Blink

Postby Blink » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:30 am

What do you think??

People will debate with me but I think Pride destroys everything it's path and leads to many horrible things like jealousy and vengeance to name a few.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I think everything has its good and bads / pro's and cons, including 'pride.' On one hand, it can give you confidence and a courage to do something you may not otherwise, but as you say, on the other hand it can lead to destruction. Like everything, it's about meeting a middle ground and flourishing the strengths whilst minimising the weaknesses.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Lack of moderation/self control
Hi, mac!

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Postby IWHMA » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:21 am

Oh, interesting topic. I'd probably have to say greed. I've always said, I think most of the world's problems can be attributed to greed. Pride is a good one too, though. Entitlement causes people to be intolerant and assume the worst of others.

edgecrusher

Postby edgecrusher » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:34 am

I would have to go with fear. I think that is responsible for the majority of the major issues humanity has suffered. All brought on by itself because it is used to manipulate and control others.

Pathfinder

Postby Pathfinder » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 pm

I agree with Kurtis. I've always thought of compassion as being one of our greatest strengths yet also one of our greatest flaws.

SandWshooter

Postby SandWshooter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:05 am

I got a good one: erryone bein' dumb'r'n hell all the time

/thread
Hi, mac!

Elin
Facebook: Elin Calliel

Postby Elin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Pride as a virtue can be a good thing but pride as in Hubris and arrogance is ugly. Ignorance causes huge problems too. But when you combine arrogance and ignorance - well that could be pretty close to being the greatest flaw of humanity for it accounts for much that humanity should be ashamed of.

happykelp

Postby happykelp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:05 am

In my opinion it would be everything we created out of fear, anger, and disgust. Discrimination would be top of the list along with greed and addiction.

Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Justwatching » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Hard to pick one flaw when there's so many to choose from. I'd nominate ignorance.

tory1234

Postby tory1234 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 pm

I'd go with intolerance being pretty high. Not liking the differences we find in each other from religion, race, sexuality etc

SandWshooter

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:35 pm

tory1234 wrote:I'd go with intolerance being pretty high. Not liking the differences we find in each other from religion, race, sexuality etc

Logically speaking, from a survival standpoint, it is actually a pretty good idea to not trust people not like you; they're an unknown, and therefore you have no clue what they're going to do. Best way to deal with intolerance is to just let it naturally run its course rather than force things and increase tension.

Think of it as a growing pain for a balanced and reasonable society. Go around trusting and being friendly with everyone right from the get-go, and you won't get too far as they will take advantage of it. Let folks naturally overcome their prejudices over time and there will be unity
Hi, mac!

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:38 pm

tory1234 wrote:I'd go with intolerance being pretty high. Not liking the differences we find in each other from religion, race, sexuality etc

I'd hazard a guess that that would be related to the fear of the unknown. If someone can't figure out why people follow other religion, come from different races or how they can be a different sexuality, they become frightened of it. Fear can quickly spread, it's contagious. It can be easily fought though with compassion and understanding; knowledge is power.

tory1234

Postby tory1234 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am

Just for topic of discussion how about money or acquisition of wealth. The inequality which it can cause between social classes. If you are wealthy you get better treatment while the poor are treated as almost pawns or a disposable commodity.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Daisy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:23 am

You're right tory, the same is true with our Justice Systems, Money Talks.

tory1234

Postby tory1234 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Daisy wrote:You're right tory, the same is true with our Justice Systems, Money Talks.

I'm in a field of work that I have to deal with a broad spectrum of what society has. Whenever dealing with a wealthy customer I'm always instructed to treat them with more regard and it's really disappointing. I feel more inclined to help the people more in need than the person who makes a point to let you know they spent 20k on a chair and 50k on a dining table.

SandWshooter

Postby SandWshooter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:10 am

A lot of the time, people with a ton of money that didn't earn a dime of it are dicks; I know a bunch of self-made folks, and they tend to be really nice
Hi, mac!

Return to “World Theory”