Wired or Wireless?

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Wired or Wireless?

Postby Kurtis » Mon May 27, 2013 8:28 am

This is a mild curiosity, I'm assuming most people on here have some kind of experience with technology in one way or another (hence why you're using the forum now). I'm just wondering, are you one of those people that prefers wireless or wires? I'm talking both things like routers (where you can setup an access point wirelessly) or for devices such as printers.

For me personally, I prefer wired, any day of the week with anything. For things such as printers for example, in my experience they tend to freeze up or go very slowly if there's either a problem with the wireless connection or the computer I'm using has stopped being able to send information to it for whatever reason (usually if it becomes busy doing another task). I've never had any issue with a printer once I've plugged it in and installed the drivers for it. Wireless in this instance seems to cause more problems than it solves.

For similar reasons, I would prefer to connect via a wire to a modem or router. In my experience, wired connections tend to be much more stable, quicker and in some regards more secure (you must have physical access to the router to connect to it, as opposed to wireless which can potentially be cracked / hacked into). I tend to have more problems with wireless in that USB drives fail or antannae's don't pick up the wireless signal, and then there's the issue of sussing out security pins and getting past any other security either myself or other members of my family have setup. For this reason, I would simply just much prefer to put an ethernet cable in the back of my PC (or laptop / any other device), put the other end in the router, and away it goes.

For me it essentially comes down to two options; convenience at the detriment of security, stability (to various degrees) and productivity, or productivity to the detriment of convenience. I would choose productivity any day, I would rather be able to use my equipment without having to find ways of making it work than worry about where exactly in a room a device sits.

I'm not slating wireless in any way, I'm sure it has its uses for many people. I just don't think it's for me.

Your thoughts?

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Wired or Wireless?

Postby IWHMA » Mon May 27, 2013 1:17 pm

I'll say this, I prefer wired over wireless, but I use more wireless.

I don't really like it. I use a laptop with wifi and my cell phone mainly. If I ever live on my own I'll get a desktop. My family has a landline phone but there is no privacy in using it.

scott85
MBTI code: ISTJ

Wired or Wireless?

Postby scott85 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:10 pm

I normally prefer wired. just depends on the situation.

I use my laptop downstairs, and my tower with the printer is upstairs. I can print wirelessly to the printer upstairs which I think is great. both are connected with 802.11n to my router
People that don't understand you can't help you

SandWshooter

Wired or Wireless?

Postby SandWshooter » Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 pm

I prefer wired for most stuff, mostly because just about anytime I have to mess with something that's wireless, it doesn't work right
Hi, mac!

racermark
Facebook: racermark

Wired or Wireless?

Postby racermark » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:30 pm

My main computer is a desktop and wired. It has Gigabyte Ethernet support too. My Internet connection is the slow cheap package though. It's fast enough for me however.

I have a laptop and Blackberry Playbook tablet that are wireless. I don't use them much. For vacations, they are a must!

The thing about wireless printers that baffles me is that they are set to DHCP. It grabs its own IP address. It will be the same for a period of time. However, if the router is rebooted, reset etc, the printer IP address will be different. You won't be able to print. When I setup them for people, I do a static IP connection not DHCP. My own printer is usb.

LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Wired or Wireless?

Postby LoneApothecary » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm

If it can be done without using wireless connectivity, then I'll always take wired over wireless. The only thing I like about wireless is simply the fact that there are less wires to manage, but I have no problem managing wires, so that isn't even a very big benefit to me.
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Wired or Wireless?

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:37 pm

LoneApothecary wrote:If it can be done without using wireless connectivity, then I'll always take wired over wireless. The only thing I like about wireless is simply the fact that there are less wires to manage, but I have no problem managing wires, so that isn't even a very big benefit to me.

lol my wires always tend to get out of control. I swear, they must have a mind of their own. Whenever I bother to untangle them, they always seem to end up back into a clump even after being left alone! I would still prefer wires to wireless though :skateboard:

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Wired or Wireless?

Postby Annie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am

I did have a wireless keyboard and mouse set. It was bought solely for aesthetics. The thing was useless so I have gone back to a cheap wired set and it works perfectly!
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Wired or Wireless?

Postby Daisy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:21 am

My Macbook is wireless, I've had no problems with it, my password is locked and secure. When travelling I find hot spots or I use a
turbo stick. My printer is wired though. :)

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Wired or Wireless?

Postby Orientalist » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:04 am

I prefer wired, but I travel a lot so I can't do without wireless. Being able to wirelessly tether my Kindle Touch (wifi only) to my phone is very useful at times.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Return to “General”