Euphemisms

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Euphemisms

Postby LoneApothecary » Mon May 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Is anyone else shocked at how pervasive euphemisms have become? I listened to George Carlin's reading of his book "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops" (awesome book, by the by), and he discusses euphemisms at length. I'd never really though about it before, but now I'm starting to notice it. Is reality so scary that we need to constantly sugar-coat it with softened language?

I even caught myself unknowingly using euphemisms when I was typing a response to the "Are You Lonely?" thread. I had said that my cat had passed away, rather than saying that she was dead. I had also said that she was put to sleep, rather than saying that I chose to have her euthanized. I couldn't help but laugh at my own ridiculousness after I noticed this.
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Euphemisms

Postby IWHMA » Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 pm

So is it fair to assume you are against using euphemisms?

I am generally conscious of my use of them. I would tend to phrase things as they are; my filter for doing that is actually on the conscious level. I pay much attention to what I say, and any potential meaning every word could have. I choose to use them so that people don't think I am weird or overly forward. But I generally hate cliches so I make up my own euphemisms mostly.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Euphemisms

Postby Kurtis » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm

It depends for the subject matter for me. I would rather say my cat had 'passed on' than say he 'died and had to be put down due to age,' because he was something close to me. For me it's more about respect.

Is reality so scary that we need to constantly sugar-coat it with softened language?

Personally, I would say no, reality is not that scary because some tend to forget about the amazing things. Some people have a need to 'soften the language' as a result, usually in an effort to preserve others feelings. I'm not sure I particularly agree with this, it would have to depend on the person and situation.

Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

Euphemisms

Postby Sunny49 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 am

Hmm....I don´t really use euphamisms tbh.....In fact, I can be pretty blunt sometimes lol

LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Euphemisms

Postby LoneApothecary » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 pm

@IWHMA: I'm against them, yes, but not entirely. They do serve a purpose in many situations, particularly when you're trying to be tactful, but they're useless when your aim is to be impactful.

@Kurtis: The context and subject matter affect my opinions on euphemisms as well, but I suppose I have rather odd feelings towards some things, death in particular.

When it comes to preserving the feelings of others through linguistic tricks, I think there's a fine line between being helpful and being deceptive, but, as you said, it depends on the circumstances.

@Sunny49: I don't really use them either, except on occasion when I'm typing stuff up. I tend to be blunt and up-front in spoken discourse.
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

Return to “General”