Help me undertand this (personal experience)

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
Xsolrac
MBTI code: ISTJ

Help me undertand this (personal experience)

Postby Xsolrac » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Hello,
Some time ago (about a year or so) something very intense happened to me, but I never thought about it until recently, so I wanted some opinions on it to try and understand.

Anyway, it went like this (Im going to be as descriptive as possible).

I was on a survival camp (I am a scout) along with my ex gf (she was my gf then), and because the surviving kit we choose randomly out of a set allowed it, we had a single sleeping bag with us. When our refuge was ready and we were set to hit the night (it was like 3 am) we tried to get both inside the sleeping. It a bit hard and it felt a bit cramped, but overall it was ok and we were comfortable. Anyway, we were already asleep, and during my sleep I began to feel this sense of discomfort, suddenly I woke up in a beat, feeling for no reason this immense feeling of desperation and fear. I felt really desperate, as if I was being crushed by an unknown pressure, I started struggling, trying as hard as I could to get out of the sleeping. When I finally managed I was sweating and breathing very heavily. My gf, who of course I had woken up, tried to calm me and after a few minutes I was ok again, if only a feeling of unsettlement on the back of my heart. I slept half out of the sleeping (if i slept at all) and that never happened again. As far as I can remember I had not been dreaming anything.

Do any of you have any insight or idea of what it could have been?

Thank you in advance, and for having read this.
Why does it has to be that way?

Silverneurotic

Re: Help me undertand this (personal experience)

Postby Silverneurotic » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Perhaps it was being confined in such a small space? Have you ever experienced claustrophobia before?

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:22 am

I had a similar experience with a gf and a single sleeping bag. I wasn't asleep but after about 20 minutes I felt really cramped and just had to get out. I think introverts probably need more personal space than others and being squashed up in a sleeping bag - even with someone we like - makes us feel like that space is being violated.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

SandWshooter

Postby SandWshooter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:35 am

The Devil tried to touch your butthole, it happens to the best of us
Hi, mac!

Xsolrac

Postby Xsolrac » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:40 am

Silverneurotic wrote:Perhaps it was being confined in such a small space? Have you ever experienced claustrophobia before?

Hmm, no, I had never experienced claustrophobia before. Not before, and not after :/

Orientalist wrote:I had a similar experience with a gf and a single sleeping bag. I wasn't asleep but after about 20 minutes I felt really cramped and just had to get out. I think introverts probably need more personal space than others and being squashed up in a sleeping bag - even with someone we like - makes us feel like that space is being violated.

It makes sence to me. And if something similar happened to you as well, it may as well be the case.

SandWshooter wrote:The Devil tried to touch your butthole, it happens to the best of us

Damn you, Devil!

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Postby IWHMA » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:57 am

I am constantly experiencing waking up screaming, fighting, struggling. I've even punched my husband in his sleep because I was panicked. It's just like a daytime panic attack but during sleep, and during sleep you don't always realize your surroundings. It could be being in a place you were unfamiliar with, being squeezed so tightly, or something else. That's what I would think.

SandWshooter

Postby SandWshooter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:13 am

I hate trying to fall asleep somewhere I'm not 100% familiar with, alleviate this by setting things up like at home (music at a low volume, no covers, phone on table/bag next to my handgun and pocket junk.

Does anyone else have trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep? Stuff like fidgeting, can't stop thinking, tossing and turning, sense of dread, etc?
Hi, mac!

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 am

Yes, except for the sense of dread. Some people just have more active brains, I think. 30 minutes in the gym and 2 hours reading a good book will usually get me to sleep. And no coffee after 4pm.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Xsolrac

Postby Xsolrac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:28 am

Same, it usually takes me about 2 hours to actually get to sleep once I go to bed. Between fidgeting, listening to music (mainly relaxingI) and just thinking my sleep away I just wait until I get actually tired to fall asleep.

bunnysmom25

Postby bunnysmom25 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 pm

It sounds like you had a night terror. I have them a few times every few months. I think they are brought on by stress or discomfort. irrational fear, immediate fight or flight feeling, and a crazy fast heart beat, I have to jump out of bed and pace around telling myself I'm not dying

Return to “General”