The School of Life: Suicide

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
swift502

The School of Life: Suicide

Postby swift502 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:38 am

Interesting video by The School of Life on Youtube. Why would the suicide rate be so much higher in China than elsewhere. Is there anything their government could do...?

Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Re: The School of Life: Suicide

Postby Justwatching » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:18 pm

swift502 wrote:Is there anything their government could do...?

Good grief, I hope not! I shiver at the thought of what government would do if it decided stopping suicide was its business.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:26 am

If they did get involved, they would probably provide free executions, this being China
Hi, mac!

swift502

Postby swift502 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:38 am

Yeah, well, I meant it in a sense that surely it must be a result of the country's economy or the law or sth. .. So therefore it should be possible to fix it somehow...

Raincloud
MBTI code: INFP

Postby Raincloud » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:01 pm

I have no idea why there is more suicide in China, or if there is. But I read a few years ago that their limitations on children combined with the tradition of favoring males has resulted in a high ratio of males to females in their younger generations, and maybe that has something to do with it?

Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Justwatching » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Raincloud wrote:I have no idea why there is more suicide in China, or if there is. But I read a few years ago that their limitations on children combined with the tradition of favoring males has resulted in a high ratio of males to females in their younger generations, and maybe that has something to do with it?

So, if they had a larger population they wouldn't commit suicide? I can't say I see the logic. As for the relationship between number of males and suicide, yes, having fewer males may result in fewer suicides as males make up the lion share of suicides. In the same way though, there'd be less crime if we had fewer blacks. It's a shallow solution that fails to recognise the demographic is not the cause of the problem but merely associated with it.

nicoclone

Postby nicoclone » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:35 am

Isn't Japan or South Korea people suicide rate higher than China?? I think that South Korea is more miserable.. South Korea is the second highest suicide rate before Guyana.. source : wikipedia..

Return to “General”