Food Thread

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Sun May 25, 2014 12:29 am

Food thread, because everyone likes food/drink and everyone likes all kinds of different food/drink, so it's a great topic for friendly discussion and lets you talk about your own personal preferences. Also, since everyone's from all over, most folks have stuff others don't have easy access to, which is neat to talk about as well.

Being a Cajun from Texas, Cajun food, barbecue and Tex-Mex is everywhere. Every-friggin'-where. For these kind of things, if it's up to me I don't go to any of the chains that are around. Little mom & pop places are the pretty much best place to get any of these three types of cuisine. Cajun food, though, is something best done as home-cookin', preferably by a little ol' Cajun grandma or grandpa since they have all the good recipes, and all of these recipes are a bit different
Hi, mac!

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:58 am

Hi, mac!

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Food Thread

Postby Annie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:37 pm

I've been having major cravings for black pudding, sausage and bacon. I usually like eating curry. Indian style curry is my all time favourite. I'll try them all!
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Annie wrote:I've been having major cravings for black pudding, sausage and bacon. I usually like eating curry. Indian style curry is my all time favourite. I'll try them all!

Curry'd black pudding
Hi, mac!

Annie

Food Thread

Postby Annie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:37 pm

SandWshooter wrote:Curry'd black pudding

Blood and curry? Hmm...
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Annie

Food Thread

Postby Annie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:37 pm

I just ate a tuna mayo baguette mmmmm
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Lorn

Food Thread

Postby Lorn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:48 pm

My family is pretty utilitarian about food, so we don't really have a style. I'm making tortilla soup at home tonight, though.

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:51 pm

I'll be having some good ol' beans & rice later. It's simple, but awesome if done right
Hi, mac!

Annie

Food Thread

Postby Annie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Lorn wrote:My family is pretty utilitarian about food, so we don't really have a style. I'm making tortilla soup at home tonight, though.

Never tried that...
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Annie wrote:Never tried that...

It's pretty good
Hi, mac!

Tsuki

Food Thread

Postby Tsuki » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:24 am

I've been craving asian food lately, sure could use a rice cooker to make some sushi and stuff myself.

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:33 am

Fried rice would be great, or some o' dat Mongolian stir-fry

I had roast beef a little while ago. Been trying to stick to getting as much protein and vegetables as I can while limiting my consumption of bread, rice, potatoes, etc. I'm actually convinced I should be, for the most part, carnivorous, because I always feel GREAT when I go that route
Hi, mac!

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Food Thread

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Tsuki wrote:I've been craving asian food lately, sure could use a rice cooker to make some sushi and stuff myself.

What the heck is a rice cooker? :| I don't think I've ever heard of one those! :D We usually do rice by taking a lidded pan, put the rice in with measured water and wait for the water to be absorbed into the rice. Pretty nice stuff! :D I suppose there's different kinds of rice though.

Annie

Food Thread

Postby Annie » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Tsuki wrote:I've been craving asian food lately, sure could use a rice cooker to make some sushi and stuff myself.

If you have a pan with a lid you can boil rice like you would with a rice cooker :)

For example you need 2 cups of water for one cup of rice.

Get up to boiling point without the lid on the pan

Cover the underside of the lid with a cloth/towel and place on the pan (this stops the steam escaping)

Cook for approx. 20 minutes on a low heat.

Leave for 5 minutes after cooking then stir. You should hopefully have perfectly steamed rice :D
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Tsuki

Food Thread

Postby Tsuki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:47 am

Oh don't get me wrong! I know how to cook rice haha, I cook it like you guys said.
But the rice used for sushi is a diferent type that needs to cook for 1 hour, I did try to do this in a pan once, it came out good but a lot of rice on the bottom got burnt since it was cooking for 1 hour.
Rice cookers are well you guys should google it, but basicaly you put the rice inside it with the stuff you need and it cooks the rice, like its steamed or something, I'm not really sure myself, but I know that japanese and chinese use it quite a lot for cooking rice and other thigns of the sort :)

But thank you anyways Annie :D

Annie

Food Thread

Postby Annie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Tsuki wrote:Oh don't get me wrong! I know how to cook rice haha, I cook it like you guys said.
But the rice used for sushi is a diferent type that needs to cook for 1 hour, I did try to do this in a pan once, it came out good but a lot of rice on the bottom got burnt since it was cooking for 1 hour.
Rice cookers are well you guys should google it, but basicaly you put the rice inside it with the stuff you need and it cooks the rice, like its steamed or something, I'm not really sure myself, but I know that japanese and chinese use it quite a lot for cooking rice and other thigns of the sort :)

But thank you anyways Annie :D

Sorry for taking ages to reply! I wasn't sure if you knew but I'm glad you do :)
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:38 am

This is amazing, but is closer to good ice-cream than it is true gelato

Hi, mac!

ksblazer

Food Thread

Postby ksblazer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:32 pm

I enjoy cooking and grilling as well as dining out

Living here in the Puget Sound we have amount of different styles of food to choose from. Japaneese, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, seafood, Italian, Indian, Mexican and American dining.

Just wish that we had some great BBQ, Cajun and Southern food around here. I feel that we are deprived of this up here.

I purchased a meat smoker a few years ago and can make better BBQ than what I can find around here. Made my fist batch of Jambalaya a couple of months ago. it turned out pretty good. But I have some room to improve it more to my tastes. Will be adding a little more cajun spice and ceyanne to heat it up more.

Also been making my own Chili. As I just don't enjoy canned Chili anymore.

SandWshooter

Food Thread

Postby SandWshooter » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:35 am

I might start making my own sausage soon, got a huge manual on it full of recipes the other day; really want to get more into cooking and MAKING my own ingredients/foods rather than just the dishes themselves. My friend wants in on it as well because he makes pizza and one day hopes to run his own pizzeria, and would like some very fresh ingredients to play around with
Hi, mac!

ksblazer

Food Thread

Postby ksblazer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:13 am

Making your own sausage would be cool. I was going to do it with another aquantance that had a meat grinder and did it before. Offered to buy the meat and split the sausages for showing me how it's done. To make a long story short. He could never commit to a date to do it :roll: So I gave up on making sausages.

Purchased a Thai cook book, as I really like Thai food. Will need to get some different sauces to do this. Also looking to get a filipino cook book and give that a try as well.

Printed out an easy shredded beef crock pot taco recipe yesterday. Was going to make them for a pot luck today. But found out that there would be plenty of beef and chicken there. So I just brough in Soda. That's okay. I still plan to try this recipe, hopefully by this weekend.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Food Thread

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 am

I'm a vegetarian, I love Italian food. :)

Return to “General”