The Great Outdoors

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Sat May 17, 2014 8:48 am

Anyone else interested in stuff like this?:

Camping
Hiking
Fishing
Hunting
Boating
Biking
Swimming
[other outdoor activity]

I'm starting to gain interest in camping; I don't know why, but if I had to guess I'd say it'd have something to do with making a temporary home-away-from-home and seeing how well I do with that. I'd probably spend a lot of time doing stupid Survivorman stuff out in the woods with my friends if I was more physically (my lower back and my left hip are super messed up right now) and financially able

I also hunt, so I'm like halfway to being a crazy survivalist nutjob
Hi, mac!

Justice

The Great Outdoors

Postby Justice » Sat May 17, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm not a fan of camping. I hate sleeping outside with all the bugs ;)
But I like geocaching (as you know) and that takes me to beautifel nature and outdoors.I go hiking when I'm geocaching, so that's similar. I like biking too, but only when it's a nice weather. And because this is the rainy Netherlands, that's not very often.

spacezcowboy

The Great Outdoors

Postby spacezcowboy » Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 am

The older I get the more I enjoy this stuff, never had patience for it as a kid because It meant putting now the video games and getting a little uncomfortable being exposed to the harsher elements of good ol' mother nature. I'm now blessed with much more reverence for the beauty of undeveloped land and the calming sounds of the wilderness.

Mads
MBTI code: ISTP

The Great Outdoors

Postby Mads » Mon May 19, 2014 10:34 am

I love camping but I don't do it much because where I live there are few spots to camp ( no woods, only pre-set camping sites, which I hate). I canoed down river last summer (around 6 hours, ~10km) which I loved and will probably do again this year.

Hiking, swimming and biking are all things I like to do as well, specially hiking.

Hunting tho... I hate it. I used to think it was a cool thing, but this one time when I shot a bird with my grandfather's air gun I felt horribly afterwards, and swore never to do it again (call me a pussy, idc :D )

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Mads wrote:I love camping but I don't do it much because where I live there are few spots to camp ( no woods, only pre-set camping sites, which I hate). I canoed down river last summer (around 6 hours, ~10km) which I loved and will probably do again this year.

Hiking, swimming and biking are all things I like to do as well, specially hiking.

Hunting tho... I hate it. I used to think it was a cool thing, but this one time when I shot a bird with my grandfather's air gun I felt horribly afterwards, and swore never to do it again (call me a pussy, idc :D )

Some people aren't cut out for hunting; It's just the way things are, you know?

If I were not messed up, I'd like to give hiking a try. Especially "go out inna woods for a week with just your pack and a buddy" hiking
Hi, mac!

Lorn

The Great Outdoors

Postby Lorn » Sat May 24, 2014 12:50 am

Justice wrote:I'm not a fan of camping. I hate sleeping outside with all the bugs ;)
But I like geocaching (as you know) and that takes me to beautifel nature and outdoors.I go hiking when I'm geocaching, so that's similar. I like biking too, but only when it's a nice weather. And because this is the rainy Netherlands, that's not very often.

I'm also only starting to develop an appreciation for it. I was on a weekend camping trip a few years ago with friends, and it felt bizarre to be away from technology and not waking up to having to check things. Now I think I'd love to spend more time away from the world of people.

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 am

Lorn: future crazy forest hermit that all the local families warn their kids about
Hi, mac!

Lorn

The Great Outdoors

Postby Lorn » Sat May 24, 2014 4:07 am

SandWshooter wrote:Lorn: future crazy forest hermit that all the local families warn their kids about

They won't have a chance to warn anyone because no one will escape. :twisted:

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

The Great Outdoors

Postby Annie » Sat May 24, 2014 11:28 am

Lorn wrote:They won't have a chance to warn anyone because no one will escape. :twisted:

I like you :twisted:
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Sun May 25, 2014 12:33 am

Leaving Monday to go up to Pedernales Falls, near San Antonio, to camp with my buddy. 5 of us were going to go, but it's down to 2 because people flaked or had stuff come up
Hi, mac!

Tsuki
MBTI code: INFJ

The Great Outdoors

Postby Tsuki » Sun May 25, 2014 10:43 pm

I personaly like camping quite a lot, being a city person I thought I wouldn't like it much because of the bugs and uncomfortable bed, but it's actualy quite nice and feels somewhat refreshing to be away from everything.

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 am

SandWshooter wrote:Leaving Monday to go up to Pedernales Falls, near San Antonio, to camp with my buddy. 5 of us were going to go, but it's down to 2 because people flaked or had stuff come up

Should be leaving in the next few hours
Hi, mac!

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 pm

Back; rained most of the time (when we drove through Austin, a very dry city, nature was trying to destroy it with rain) and I messed up a knife. Fun, though
Hi, mac!

Mads

The Great Outdoors

Postby Mads » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:20 pm

SandWshooter wrote:Back; rained most of the time (when we drove through Austin, a very dry city, nature was trying to destroy it with rain) and I messed up a knife. Fun, though

How did you messed up your knife? also, what knife was it?

I remember messing up my CS bushman with a big freaking dent, but fixed it by grinding the edge off, and look as good as new now

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:58 am

Mads wrote:
How did you messed up your knife? also, what knife was it?

I remember messing up my CS bushman with a big freaking dent, but fixed it by grinding the edge off, and look as good as new now

Bent the pocket clip of my Byrd CaraCara II getting out of a '47 Chevy

A lot of the time, CS stuff turns out to be not quite as good as something you paid that much for should be
Hi, mac!

Mads

The Great Outdoors

Postby Mads » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 pm

SandWshooter wrote:
Bent the pocket clip of my Byrd CaraCara II getting out of a '47 Chevy

A lot of the time, CS stuff turns out to be not quite as good as something you paid that much for should be

Tht may be true for the 100$+ knives, but my 30$ bushman withstanted more punishment than i thought it was possible. It's been to hell and back and the only time I made a dent on it was by battoning through a knot in some hard wood. Its a great knife for its price.

SandWshooter

The Great Outdoors

Postby SandWshooter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Mads wrote:
Tht may be true for the 100$+ knives, but my 30$ bushman withstanted more punishment than i thought it was possible. It's been to hell and back and the only time I made a dent on it was by battoning through a knot in some hard wood. Its a great knife for its price.

Yeah, they do machetes (that being said, my Kukri machete was garbage and dull as a butterknife out of the bag it came in; the egde needed to be sharpened with a grinder) and fixed blade stuff okay. Tried & true designs, etc

I'd not buy any high end stuff from them unless they were the only ones making that particular thing. Want expensive knife?-->Want it to not fuckin' break?-->SPYDERCO
Hi, mac!

Return to “General”