I am in need of input

Talk about anything general that doesn't fit into any other category.
UnfoundKnowledge
MBTI code: INTP

I am in need of input

Postby UnfoundKnowledge » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello there

My name is Daniel and I'm 20 years old. I'm new to this site and being an introvert. It was only about a month ago that I learned about introversion and extroversion through a random (yet lucky(for lack of a better word)) search on Google. Until this happened I have never even heard of these terms and would probably still be wondering what is wrong with me. Since then I have done as much research as I could on the subject and learned many things about it. There was a slight feeling of happiness and understanding once I felt that I learned everything there is to learn on the subject.

I felt as though this new knowledge filled in some of the gaps in my mind and was able to, if only slightly, better understand myself. There are still many things I do not know about myself (which is fine, for now) and as such have turned to this forum. I do not expect you to fill in the answers for me. I know I'm the only who can do that, but I do know that I can learn from other people's input and experience.

My main issue right now is that I'm at a point in my life where I must decide (or rather being forced to by my parents) what it is I want to do, whether it be joining the work force, and if so which one, or turning to education. If there is one thing I know about myself it's that I work better with my head than I do with my hands, in the sense that I don't enjoy physical labour. So by pairing these two things together, my introversion and my thinking skills, I have been able to narrow down the field of possibilities. Although this field has been narrowed, it is still quite large (immensely so). I would LOVE to learn more of the world and what it has to offer in the terms of knowledge but to do so I require money, which neither my family nor I have sparingly. As such I've decided that the first thing on my list to do is get a job that requires more knowledge than physical activity, which is where I meet my dilemma. I don't have a degree from a college or university, or even a high school diploma. The reason being for that is because I always skipped class in high school because I felt like I wasn't challenged enough, in terms of learning new things, and many of the subjects didn't interest me enough to make me stick around. At one point throughout high school I had to go to summer school. Although I hated it every minute (a teenager sitting in a classroom in the middle of summer? who doesn't hate that) I learned a few important aspects about myself. I was in summer school for grade 11 mathematics (I should mention I live in Canada) and the course ran for 1 month. In that 1 month they teach you everything they would have taught you in a regular school semester which is 4 months long. Having the subject condensed so much we were learning a new unit every few hours (which I LOVED), and I found myself not being bored and slightly more interested because of the rate we were learning. At the end of the month I had finished the math course with a 98 (got 99 on all my work and 98 on the final exam), which was a huge shock for me because I never got higher than a 74 in regular high school.

Now that I look back on this experience, and factor in my introversion, it occurred to me that I'm much more comfortable learning at a much faster pace and feel as though I'm not moving forward, in my goal of knowledge, if the pace is any slower. I would try teaching myself but I'm not sure how to go about this or even where to start, and I think I have a mild form of ADD (not tested so I'm not sure) because I have never ever, for as long as I can remember, been able to sit still without moving. I'm afraid that I would get too easily distracted by other things (which happens a lot). So I guess this all boils down to one question, is there a school that teaches at a fast pace like this? (I've tried researching this but never seem to find anything) Also I feel as though I should mention that I have no idea of what it is I enjoy doing and what I want to do. I have thought about this a lot recently and have yet to find an answer. I think its due to the fact that I'm currently under educated, although I have an abundance of raw intelligence.

Sorry for the frikin' essay, Its hard for me to get to the point because other facts keep popping up in my head. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this, and thank you in advance for your response, I look forward to them.
Last edited by Kurtis on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into paragraphs.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

I am in need of input

Postby Kurtis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:35 am

hi UnfoundKnowledge,

Welcome to the island!

I went through a similar situation as you when I stumbled across the word 'Introvert,' only I discovered it slightly differently. For me, I was taking a few random personality tests (on Facebook of all places) and a word that popped up ocassionally was 'introvert.' I didn't pay much heed to it at the time, thinking it was just another buzz-word, or I simply skimmed over it as the rest of the results made sense.

When I noticed 'introvert' pop up more than once, however, I decided to hunt down a definition of it. I did a simple google definition, and ended up with this result:
  1. A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person.
  2. A person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things.

The first one was obviously a bit more of a miss, given I don't really consider myself self-centred (or at least, I try not to be), I didn't really consider myself shy, though that was the common label I was given (even now). The second definition made a lot more sense, however. To concentrate on my own thoughts and feelings was something I was never explained too or even considered normal, and there a slight light bulb went off. I ended up on a thorough search on what it means to be an introvert, and one day it hit like a bus-full. Suddenly, everything that was ever wrong in my life was suddenly right, everything that was unnatural or not normal, was.

It's quite normal to work better inside your head rather than with your hands, I don't believe I would be speaking out of turn if I were to say most introverts do. However, I wouldn't rule out working with your hands, especially if you particularly enjoy using them for anything; this includes artistical things including artwork, making music, even dance if it takes your fancy. For work, I think many an extravert may find working with their hands dull as well, for this it depends entirely who you and they are.

I prefer learning at a slower pace, personally, so learning quickly is not really a trait restricted to introversion. I'm not a person to rush and see things through as quickly as possible as I usually believe that leads to mistakes that could otherwise have been avoided. That includes education, if I'm rushed I usually feel flustered and frustrated, especially if I don't understand something. This said, I can understand feeling bored when things went too slow. When I did my ICT course, I felt like I pretty much knew everything that was being tutored and most of my time was spent browsing the internet or finding something else I didn't know at the time. In the music course I did, I felt like I had learnt a lot more because that was something I was actively wanting to learn at the time.

You may find the MBTI quite a fascinating subject, what it essentially does is take your answers from a (fairly lengthy, admittedly) test, and gives you a four digit MBTI code. You can use that code to further your knowledge about your core personality. What it does fundamentally is it takes four distinct personality traits and weighs them on a scale. You'll walk away with percentages either way, the higher of which dictates your MBTI code (this will make sense when you see the results). Once you have your MBTI code, you can do a lot more research, when I had finished reading that, it genuinely felt a breath of fresh air. Bare in mind that when I first took the test and read up the results, I didn't feel they matched particularly well so I had to readjust my answers a couple of times until I landed on a particular result that intuitively felt right. It's not infallible as a result. If you're interested, have a look: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

I hope this helps!

UnfoundKnowledge
MBTI code: INTP

I am in need of input

Postby UnfoundKnowledge » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:13 am

Thanks for the response Kurtis, much appreciated. I looked into the link you posted and took the test. The first time around I got INTJ. I'm planning on doing the test a few more times to compare results but its 1am here so it will have to wait. :P INTJ sounds kinda right to me but I cant be 100% sure because I feel as though I haven't experienced enough of the world to better understand what my likes/dislikes are, how I react in certain situations I have yet to experience, and other things of that nature. I guess all will be revealed in time.

Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

I am in need of input

Postby Sunny49 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I´m not sure if there is any school that teaches at a faster pace, but you can always learn additionally at home by yourself, if you feel like the school is too slow, or maybe you can sign up for some internet course, so you can learn on your own pace. But, sometimes we just have to suffer through something to get what we want :)

Justice
MBTI code: ISTJ

I am in need of input

Postby Justice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 am

Hi UnfoundKnowledge
First of all welcome to the forum :)

I can't help you with your decisions, because you have to make them yourself, but I can give you some advice. If you want to call it that, because I am no expert.
I think you should probably turn to education. Why you ask? Well, I think because your chances will be bigger if you do have some sort of degree. I know, from my own country, that people with no degree end up working with their hands and because that's not really what you want, I think you should try to study. I always enjoyed school, probably because I'm not so smart as you. You sound smart you know, when you say you are much more comfortable learning at a much faster pace. I always needed the slow pace :D
Anyway, you can always study at that slow pace at school and at home study faster or something extra or something. And in my experience, you have to get through the stupid stuff to get to the fun stuff. I hated highschool but I had to get my degree to become a law student. There's where my real interest lies. So maybe it is as Sunny says: sometimes we just have to suffer through something to get what we want.

Well I hope I'm not rambling and I hope you will make the best decision for yourself!

Sidd

Re: I am in need of input

Postby Sidd » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Hello Daniel. A lot of angles, so forgive me for answering in point form:

Education vs. work: I think for tertiary education it's never too late, so you can start later on (e.g. after working a few years, after finding something you really want to do etc.). The High School Dip. however, seems to be the bare minimum expected these years (dunno about Canada specifically, but that's my general impression), so I would recommend getting it done, if only to open up doors in the future.

Schools that teach at a fast pace: You might want to look up schools with gifted programs and see if you qualify.

ADD: If it hinders your ability to attain your goals, you might want to check it out and see if you really have it, and get it treated/managed if necessary. You can check http://www.helpforadd.com/criteria-for-add/ to get an idea of how likely it is that you do have it, but I recommend it as a guide, DO NOT confirm the diagnosis on your own.

Seeing the world: There are some options
a. working holiday: which allows you to find work in the country you go to. The countries available depend on which countries have the agreement with Canada, so you'll need to research on your own. You probably need to save up a basic amount to cover costs for a couple of weeks to months in case it is difficult to find a job. Usually working holiday people manage to find something in the service industry at least. There is an age limit though (I think late 20s to 30).
b. tuition free colleges: maybe someone from Europe can comment? I've heard that there are a reasonable amount of tuition free colleges. You do however need to cover living costs.

Hope it helps!

Raincloud
MBTI code: INFP

Postby Raincloud » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:59 pm

I don't know where you live, but in most parts of the US, the adult schools that offer high school equivalency diplomas are actually quicker than high school itself and better for some people. My spouse went that route after he had a lot of trouble in school, and he only had to take two or three classes, which were pretty much no nonsense, and he got his diploma faster than if he'd stayed in school in the first place. So you might want to look into that, whatever program is available in your area, see what's required. You might be pleasantly surprised and be able to get through it quickly.

For me the social aspects of high school were a problem. I got through it, but it really is designed for extroverts if you ask me. College was a bit easier in that regard, though I didn't finish.

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 am

If you want to work with your head, it will be much easier to find jobs if you have qualifications. If you are good at maths, consider computer programming, where aptitude is often more important than qualifications. Also, there are a lot of computer programming courses and diplomas that are outside the normal education curriculum. That's more or less the route I took.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Return to “General”