Ask for advice

Talk about things related to careers or working.
nicoclone

Ask for advice

Postby nicoclone » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:23 am

Well, so we are all introvert here and one of the appropriate major to take for an introvert is IT. I also have dream to become a successful game developer but i just don't know how to start it. So, could someone that have experience in game developing or at least expert in programming and coding tell me where should i start and give some guidance to me?? Can i be a game developer if i am just alone or maybe i should ask people to join at my project??

swift502

Re: Ask for advice

Postby swift502 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:19 am

Hi, hopefully better late than never.

I'm not a real programmer, this is my unprofessional view.
I think, that first of all you need to be passionate about what you do. You won't be able to learn much, if your motivation will be earning money, getting famous or anything like that. An example of people with wrong motivations are those so called "indie" developers who release grass simulators on steam or flappy bird clones on Android. It just doesn't work. They eventually burn out because they realise it's not as easy to achieve their "easy money" goal as they thought, or actually release products so s**t and unplayable, because hey, it's business, they don't care about quality, they get the ad money.
So once you do it because you want to create great, wonderful and amazing projects no one's ever seen before, you can start learning. The question is, what do you imagine under "game development". Two major areas are programming and game visuals. (And also sound design and stuff that no one cares about...)

Programming:

Firstly what I think you want to get into:
Getting games done (this guy and his Game making journey)
Programs such as "Game maker", "Construct" or "Fusion 2.5" guide you a little bit, yet give you enough freedom to create whatever you want. For middle sized, 2D projects, and escpecially if you only want to focus on games, and not programming in general, this is a great choice. To me this seems like the best choice for you, as even branching stories are possible with these, and yeah, loads and loads of people learn to code games like this. By guidance I mean you don't have to worry about very technical stuff, like memory leaks, threading etc. if you don't want to, as these programs should take care of everything.
I personally have 0 experience with them, so I can't tell how difficult it is to get into one of these programs. But it's probably the path you should take. You'll get to make your own graphics and learn to think as a game developer.

Now, maybe you'd like to learn programming in general:
Small projects, slowly (this guy or this guy)
You'll notice that these guys know their code. They can change anything they like. Also they've been at these projects for some time (years) and are actually struggling to even find a use for them.
In case of games, this way is way more lengthy and a bit more painful. You pick a language, for games, ideally Java, C++, C# w/XNA or some other object oriented language (again, not an expert really), and you learn the basics (language syntax, object oriented programming, etc.) make a few beginner projects (calculator, maybe tetris, space invaders, asteroids, etc.) and gradually, I'm talking months here, gradually you set yourself achievable goals and eventually create a game engine that suits your small game's needs. You'll be the one creating and controlling the environment and you'll understand everything that's happening in your game. If you need anything unconventional (second link above - non-euclidian geometry), this is the only way, as I don't think you can bend large conventional environments this much.

Finally, maybe you've been born to make a big buck:
Huge projects, quickly (this guy)
Right now you can download Unity, Unreal Engine or any environment like that, watch a few YT tutorials and get a game done in a month, without any programming knowledge. It's what the "grass simulator" creators do. In these Unity like environments, everything is pre-made, you just click on a template and it somehow works. You do things because the tutorials say so. You'll end up with something that runs on someone's engine and isn't optimized for your game. Though in a very short amount of time.
More so if you actually spend the time learning to work with the environment, you'll know the whole game production pipeline, involving graphics, animation, as well as game logic. You can learn programming this way, but it's inside someone's environment.For huge conventional projects however (3D games, complex branching stories, complex gameplay mechanics) this is the best, if not the only way.

Conclusion:
Ultimately, there is no trick to learning programming. You'll need to find a lot of time, find a specific tutorial online, and just start learning. Whether it'll be environment and then language, or language first, is up to you. I've never done anything huge. But people do it all the time, so it must be possible. Whatever path you choose. It'll be tough. And you'll need to have enough determination to finish anything.

I code a little bit, but I'm more on the graphics side. Don't take me too seriously, but hopefully you can take something from this. We'll have to wait for an experienced programmer to give us some proper advices.

Return to “Careers and Work”