Any advice on finding a job

Talk about things related to careers or working.
MaryA

Any advice on finding a job

Postby MaryA » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:40 pm

I only recently discovered about introverts. All my life I was trying to pretend to be an extrovert! In college and work I seemed to be surrounded by extroverts and it was difficult to fit in. I was excited and relieved when I read about introverts.

Anyway I had someone supporting me financially and I hadn't to work for years. The situation changed and I must support myself. It seems so difficult to find a job. I applied for loads of jobs and no responses. Recruitment agencies say I need recent work experience. I do have a college degree but apparently it's old now too.
Does anyone have advice?

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Re: Any advice on finding a job

Postby Annie » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi and welcome Mary.

I am sorry that you are having a hard time finding a job. I am also finding it it hard but due to a disability (and lack of jobs)!

Where are you located so that we may be able to give more advice?
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:46 am

Welcome Mary,

I suggest lowering your expectations, take a job in a fast food place to gain work experience..

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:48 am

Daisy wrote:Welcome Mary,

I suggest lowering your expectations, take a job in a fast food place to gain work experience..

Where I live, competition for 'fast food restaurants' is ludicrously tough as well, meaning you need 'years of experience' before you can even flip burgers. The jobs market / economy is in a real dire straight.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:01 am

I didn't realize it is so different elsewhere, here they're all advertising for help.

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Postby Annie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Daisy I was honestly turned down at KFC for being under qualified! I have a degree and have worked in charity retail since I was hahaha
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Justwatching » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:52 pm

I had a friend who was turned down by MacDonald's...he had previous experience working at MacDonald's! The labour market is pretty crazy. With minimum wage going up and up and ridiculous employment laws making everyone a potential lawsuit, I can't blame them for being picky.

Like Daisy said, rid yourself of any expectations. Right now you need to build experience and get references to show that you're reliable. If you really can't get paid employment, get voluntary work. It's better than a blank CV.

roxanne101

Postby roxanne101 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:52 am

I enjoy doing remote work. Maybe you can just start with a small, part time work from home job. Once you gain experience in working remotely, you will qualify for full time jobs. They will hire you over those who have only worked in an office setting.

Return to “Careers and Work”