I'm an introvert and I don't know how to handle conflict...

Talk about things related to careers or working.
BlackDragon

I'm an introvert and I don't know how to handle conflict...

Postby BlackDragon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:05 pm

I started my new job, and so far I like it. It's pretty easy, so I caught on quick, plus I used to work in the industry and I know my way around. It's a good job for an introvert - I work with a handful of machine operators, and that's it (I think a lot of them are introverts, too. They tend to keep to themselves) and with all the noise the machines make I can tune everyone out and pretend I'm alone.

Except... the girl who works second shift was pulled from second shift to work with me a couple of days and make sure I was doing ok. Second shift starts at 3:30pm (when I get out), so they where having her come in at noon and work with me for half a day. But it's been two weeks now and she hasn't gone back to working her own shift. The desk we share is small and our work takes up a lot of space - it's difficult to get anything done with the two of us crammed in there. I don't need her guidance anymore (she's worked there a whole three months longer than me and, by all accounts, isn't even that good at the job).

I think she just likes to get in early so she can leave earlier. The boss in there is sort of laid back and I'm not sure he's even noticing when she gets in or cares. Or worse, she is telling the boss that I'm still hopelessly lost and that I need her there. When the boss isn't in the room, she's useless. She'll just SIT there or chit chat with the operators. Plus, when she leaves earlier than she should be (because she's coming in early to "help" me), she isn't there to do the paper work that piles up on second shift, and it's all waiting for ME when I get in.

Not to mention having someone breathing down my neck half the day is annoying as hell for me. The past couple of days I've just been passive aggressive, barely speaking with her when she comes in. I don't know how else to give her a clue-by-four that she needs to quit invading my space and go back to her own shift. I'm afraid if I try to talk with her about it I'll be nasty. I have very little patience for people, especially inconsiderate people like her.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Re: I'm an introvert and I don't know how to handle conflict...

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:19 am

why not just tell her nicely that you're ok on your own now?

If she does'nt leave, tell the boss the same thing.

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Re: I'm an introvert and I don't know how to handle conflict...

Postby Daisy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:13 am

BlackDragon, Do you have an update for us? as to how things turned out.

Return to “Careers and Work”