Jobs? What darn jobs??

Talk about things related to careers or working.
Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Jobs? What darn jobs??

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 pm

This is gonna be a 'rant' I think cos I'm pented up at the moment.

Up till leaving college, things went comparatively smoothly. I didn't find interviews too hard and I enjoyed for the most part my time as a college-student for both the IT and music courses that I sudied. However, problems began to start when I left college and looked for work. I did the usual to start with, look online, check bulletin boards, asked friends and family, and even floated around the supermarkets to see if anyone was hiring. I applied for tons of work but with very little response to it. When I did however get interviews, they were generally further afield and apart of me thinks that the employers don't want someone who lives too far away. Eventually, I ended up in an apprenticeship job which I loathed and resented, the pay was miniscule; £2.60 an hour in a job where £6.19+ was the norm, the hours were ridiculous, the micromanagement and bullying was horrendous, and I stuck there for six months becuase I was the only person in the household at the time bringing in a wage. At the end of all that, I was thrown out.

After this, I've spent two years repeating the same cycle all over again, rinse and repeating, rinse and repeating, rinse and repeating... With the added bonus of having a job on a CV with no reference and a poor record. It's reached a stage now where if I go to an interview, they'll ask me; 'well what have you been doing in those two years?'

What the hell do you think I've been doing for these past two years? Find ways of trying to kiss ass and pucker up for assholes like you so I might just walk away with a job that pays reasonably with reasonable hours.

Alas, after two years I find a job that lasts a week. But after a week, the job ends because the company looses the darn contract, leaving me and all my new colleagues out of work, starting the cycle all over again.

During all this time you're unemployed, you're bombarded with 'there's jobs out there, you're not looking hard enough.' 'You're not skilled enough.' 'You're gonna struggle.' 'You're doing this, that and the other wrong.' FUCK OFF!

I was on a college course a couple of weeks ago, and one of the tutors expressed an opinion; 'I think there's plenty of jobs out there, but people aren't getting them because they don't reach a certain standard.' Having thought about this for a little while, I came to realise that yes, there are jobs out there, but if everyone increases their 'standard' to the 'acceptable' level, then what happens? The employer simply raises the bloody standard again. There's certainly jobs out there, but there's a shit ton lot more people out there looking for them! We're in a situation now where people who are well qualified, hell even well experienced in their work, can't find it! They don't have this, they don't have that, they need the other.

Complete shambles. Diabolical. This whole job-hunting business is a complete and utter waste of time. It's nonsense.

Fuck this.

Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Jobs? What darn jobs??

Postby Justwatching » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:47 pm

I can sympathize. I graduated in September and still don't have a proper job. I'm starting temporary work at a warehouse next week which will do while the navy decides whether they want me. My qualifications have nothing to do with warehouses nor submarines, but I've since realised a Masters degree that's not in demand is worthless. Worse than worthless, actually - I've lost out on jobs for being 'over qualified'. . The irony...

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Jobs? What darn jobs??

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Justwatching wrote:I can sympathize. I graduated in September and still don't have a proper job. I'm starting temporary work at a warehouse next week which will do while the navy decides whether they want me. My qualifications have nothing to do with warehouses nor submarines, but I've since realised a Masters degree that's not in demand is worthless. Worse than worthless, actually - I've lost out on jobs for being 'over qualified'. . The irony...

Aye. I've had a similar situation; I'm very capable of doing jobs I've applied for - administrative, computer work, etc. But I don't have the 'experience' to gain non-training jobs, but I have 'too much training' for trainee jobs.

:idunno:

Daisy
MBTI code: ISFP

Re: Jobs? What darn jobs??

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:21 am

Have you had any luck yet Kurtis?

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kurtis » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:48 am

No. I found a job in Warehousing which lasted a week, then I moved into security, that lasted two weeks, then I was made redundant again.

BlackDragon

Postby BlackDragon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 pm

:(
This has been my life for the past three years. I lost my job and could find nothing but McDonald's. My stress levels since starting there have gone through the roof. I went from depression being my main problem to anxiety being my main problem. If I don't have something specific to worry about, my brain invents something for me. I've been making shit money and working in that stressful environment so long my body is on stress autopilot!

I, too, applied and applied for jobs I was well qualified for with nothing to show for it. The current employment scene is a damn joke. I feel like employers are taking themselves way too seriously - just hire someone, they don't have to be effing perfect! But I guess they get to be picky with so many applicants.

I got this new job at the place my husband works at. I applied for a QC position in his department that I was fully qualified for (having worked in the industry before), but they didn't want us working together (lame), so I got offered a lower-paying position on the production floor. I guess "who you know" can help and hinder you.

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Postby Annie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 am

I am 'not qualified enough' to work in KFC.

I have a disability (Hypermobility Syndrome) so have even less jobs that I am able to do. As everyone knows there's fuck all out these for an able bodied person.

Fuck this.
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

nicoclone

Postby nicoclone » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:52 am

Well, if you are difficult at finding a job or the damn employee always raise their standard for applicants, then you should build your own business or become a professional.. in my case, i have been working for myself, teaching at my father's education center...

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:30 pm

I tried to get a job selling guns at Cabela's, turns out they only hired a bunch of old guys
Hi, mac!

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Postby Annie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:20 pm

nicoclone wrote:Well, if you are difficult at finding a job or the damn employee always raise their standard for applicants, then you should build your own business or become a professional.. in my case, i have been working for myself, teaching at my father's education center...

Not everyone has the advantage of being able to get a job within a family members business.
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

nicoclone

Postby nicoclone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Al least, u can try to build ur own business.. or start taking courses so u can become independent or professional

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:57 am

To get a job I had to move away from my home town to the big city... forever. Leaving everything behind was the only way. After I had some work experience, I suppose I could have gone back there, but I never did. Striking out on your own is lonely but at least you don't spend your life on the dole or working in some dead-end job.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Return to “Careers and Work”