Dealing with jobs as an introvert

Talk about things related to careers or working.
Keiv

Postby Keiv » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 am

I'm a 33 year old male and I've always been undecided in life. Since high school, I've had around 8 jobs and after all these years, I finally thought that my current job of 3 years was THE one. Well, yet again, it isn't. I currently do HVAC work and I was under the assumption I would be working alone a lot. Unfortunately that isn't the case at all. I'm constantly tagging along with other guys who are always draining my energy due to their personalities (constantly angry, always rushing, and the gossiping between techs.. omg -_-), and HVAC being what it is, there is just way too much pressure on the tech for pretty much any kind of job there is. Everyone is always on you about something whether it's the customer or the office and it's about drove me to the edge. I took a year program at school to get into this and my first year was ok, but after the second year I knew I couldn't do this for the next 20+ years but I decided to be patient in hopes of things getting better. I really don't know what else to do. If I quit now, then what? If I continue to stay knowing I won't be in this forever, than I'm just wasting time. I really feel like the only way I can be satisfied in my working life is if I truly work alone and I don't know how possible that is.

Anyone else share a similar experience and did something about it? If so, I'd definitely like to hear some stories because I've come to the point in my job where my motivation is rock bottom and I'm pretty much no longer learning anything and forcing myself to be there.

tongue35

Postby tongue35 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Keiv wrote:I'm a 33 year old male and I've always been undecided in life. Since high school, I've had around 8 jobs and after all these years, I finally thought that my current job of 3 years was THE one. Well, yet again, it isn't. I currently do HVAC work and I was under the assumption I would be working alone a lot. Unfortunately that isn't the case at all. I'm constantly tagging along with other guys who are always draining my energy due to their personalities (constantly angry, always rushing, and the gossiping between techs.. omg -_-), and HVAC being what it is, there is just way too much pressure on the tech for pretty much any kind of job there is. Everyone is always on you about something whether it's the customer or the office and it's about drove me to the edge. I took a year program at school to get into this and my first year was ok, but after the second year I knew I couldn't do this for the next 20+ years but I decided to be patient in hopes of things getting better. I really don't know what else to do. If I quit now, then what? If I continue to stay knowing I won't be in this forever, than I'm just wasting time. I really feel like the only way I can be satisfied in my working life is if I truly work alone and I don't know how possible that is.

Anyone else share a similar experience and did something about it? If so, I'd definitely like to hear some stories because I've come to the point in my job where my motivation is rock bottom and I'm pretty much no longer learning anything and forcing myself to be there.

i dunno, im in similar position..im in a job where i have to be social in terms of working together to get things done..along with that comes the inevitable everyday 'job talk' and by the time i get home im drained, pretty much every day but the pay is good..ive never had a solitary job but would like one but im not a programmer type or someone qualified to work from home so im kind of stuck in the grind too..wish i had some good advice but i dont..

i keep on getting suggestions to start my own business but im 36 and what would i do?how would i make a living working from home?

llw14
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby llw14 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 pm

I don't think there's any way around this type of thing. You either have to work for an employer, in which case you have to deal with bosses, co workers, clients, vendors, etc. or you're working for yourself in which case you have to deal with...clients, vendors, customers, etc. Nothing we can do. Even in my job, I sit in a cube farm all day and daily but I still have to interact with bosses/coworkers/etc.

Return to “Careers and Work”