Should we all have a profile on a social network?

Talk about things related to careers or working.
Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Sunny49 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey, guys, I´ve been asking myself this question lately. I´ve been mostly "hiding" on the internet under fake names etc. but is it easier to find a job if you have a FB, Twitter etc. on your real name? Here is an article I found about this subject http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsm ... ob-search/

I´m really curious on what you have to say :)

You can also comment here if you want https://www.facebook.com/pages/Introver ... 9305072366 :)

Thanks! :)

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Yes, because some places are less likely to hire you if you don't have one
Hi, mac!

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm not sure how 'easy' it would be finding a job if you had a public Facebook account for some bizarre reason, but I've heard it can, in theory, go against you if you have unprofessional behaviour posted on Facebook. Employers don't like it (even though I don't think it's any of their business particularly). There's a website out there called Linked In that's supposed to be for professional reasons only and that's supposed to help you secure employment. It's success rate and in which industry? I don't know. Just be cautious with the information you put on it because it's a darn site lot more public than Facebook is.

Andy
MBTI code: INFP

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:20 am

I think it depends on the kind of job you are looking for. It would be very beneficial for jobs that require a lot of networking in general, such as marketing or some higher profile office jobs.

To be fair though, I don't have a FB, or a Twitter account (any longer anyways), out of principal. If employers want to check my facebook to see if I am worthy to hire, I don't want to work for them, because I don't think my qualities should be judged based on an online profile, status updates, and who I have in my social circles. Nor do I want to be compared to other profiles. My perspective may change though if I become broke and unemployed... but I really just can't stand social networking. Arrrrgh, I hate, hate, hate it! Sorry for the rant!

fufufu

Postby fufufu » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

No we shouldn't all have a prodile on asocial network ! Why is it ?
Employers do type the name of the people looking for a job.
If you have a page with private photos of yourself, and your boss sees it, it's gonna suck.

I hate social networks. It's all about suiting for a king of mode-of-living, mode-o-f-living, I hate it !
You have to fill all this information forms about yourself...
Social networks save them and use them, sell them to advertisers.
Giving all these infos it's all about suiting for a kind of life.
As if one could sum up someone with his facebook profile...
If you do not tell explicitely your marital status or if the box for it is empty on the filling form, you can compare to others to feel depressed because you do not correpond to the standards.

Andy
MBTI code: INFP

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 am

I tend to think social networks are nothing but bragging networks. Aside from maybe staying in touch with someone you care about, it's all about trying to sell yourself for a bit of internet glamor. I think it speaks even less than a resume regarding someone's work ethic, which merits very little as it is.

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:09 pm

In general, I think a personal profile on FB should be kept private, because it may be more of a liability as regards future employers. I use my real name on Facebook, and allow it to be searchable, so old friends can find me - and a couple of dear friends (ok, ex-girlfriends) did find me via FB. But I keep all my stuff accessible to "friends only" and I don't add people I haven't met in real life.

What might be good for future employment is maintaining a FB fan page, a twitter feed or a Google+ account on a subject related to your work. Or I guess it could be about your interests, just to show future employers that you are social media-savvy. In this case you don't need to use your real name.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Return to “Careers and Work”