Failing to find work.

Talk about things related to careers or working.
Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Failing to find work.

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi. I don't know where to start here. I’d just like a job but it seems impossible at the moment. If it isn’t a driving license that I need it’s training that I can’t afford or get access to.
Argh!
I’d just like a little bit of money to be able to do things like learn to drive and to go out every so often, is it too much to ask?
I also feel like a waste of space. Is it normal? What has everyone else experienced? :twisted:
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Re: Failing to find work.

Postby SandWshooter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:47 am

No jobs here, either
Hi, mac!

Justice

Postby Justice » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:52 pm

I totally understand the frustation!

I can't find a fulltime job either. Okay, I have to admit, last week I started at a parttime job, but that's only for 2 months and it's just 2 days in the week. And it's without a contract, but as a on-call staff. So if I'm sick or anything, I don't get paid. The only reason I took it, is because of the money and the experience.
That last reason is the most important one. I graduated in january and every single reaction I get to my application letters is this one: you don't have enough experience to work here.
Well, I don't want to insult anyone, but this reaction has to come from a stupid extrovert.
How in the world am I going to get experience if I can't get a job because of my lack of experience. That's just a stupid vicious circle!

Grrr :D

But anyway, you're not alone in this frustation

Annie

Postby Annie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Justice wrote:I graduated in january and every single reaction I get to my application letters is this one: you don't have enough experience to work here.
Well, I don't want to insult anyone, but this reaction has to come from a stupid extrovert.
How in the world am I going to get experience if I can't get a job because of my lack of experience. That's just a stupid vicious circle!

This is exactly what I am going through :lol: It's good to not be alone in this but what does that say for society?
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Sunny49 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm

If you don´t need money, maybe you should volunteer somewhere first....that´s how you´ll get experience....They ARE stupid, I agree with you...(not extroverts, but those people who invented that rule, lol)

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Annie wrote:This is exactly what I am going through :lol: It's good to not be alone in this but what does that say for society?

Yeah, I'm guessing this means society is going to be 'destroyed' if they keep this up!
I don't know really, the message it sends now is that you better get to work as soon as possible, even if you don't like the job. You should be lucky to find a job.
But I can't do that. I can't work at a job if I feel miserable. I'm very lucky to have find this partimejob, so I can pay the bills, so to speak.

I just hope it will get better in the future, and that those stupid people give chances to people with no experience. I'm really a hardworking girl and I'm willing to learn more things, just give me the chance.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Failing to find work.

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 am

For me, like others have mentioned, finding, getting and then keeping work is a vicious circle. The key issue with me is the lack of 'work experience.' It's a case of 'if you want to work here, you need experience,' but the best way of getting experience is by getting a job.

I applied for an apprenticeship a couple of years ago, and one of the questions they asked me was 'did you do any jobs or training related to admin?' I can't remember what my answer was (it was akin to 'no' anyway), but the reason I was applying for apprenticeships was because I was lacking in 'work-experience.' Someone I know had a similar question asked her and she was applying for voluntary work.

There's different suggestions out there for these kind of situations, some mention bringing in 'transferable-skills,' which is fair, fine and dandy, but sometimes employers want proof you can work in the job with a track-record, not hearsay. That's what makes it even harder for school-leavers - yes they've got eduction (good they hope), but where's the proof they can work, and work hard? Transferable skills can only go so far. The employer has his 100 applicants, there's two: one with direct, recent work experience, and one with a fair amount of 'transferable skills,' which would the employer want?

I actually have a driving license, so that's one of the things I've got going for me, I just don't have transport, a vehicle to get me there first thing in the morning; but that would come when I actually have a proper job and enough hours for me to sufficiently fund one.

Annie

Failing to find work.

Postby Annie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Kurtis wrote:There's different suggestions out there for these kind of situations, some mention bringing in 'transferable-skills,' which is fair, fine and dandy, but sometimes employers want proof you can work in the job with a track-record, not hearsay. That's what makes it even harder for school-leavers - yes they've got education (good they hope), but where's the proof they can work, and work hard? Transferable skills can only go so far.

Around here they seem to enjoy employing people with no work history and no skills. Maybe I'm just jealous in some way but that's how it is from my side.
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Justice

Failing to find work.

Postby Justice » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm having a job interview tomorrow. :singer: I'm terrified, been rejected about 4 times for this kind of work. Will that change tomorrow? I'm thinking no, but I need to try to stay positive

Help! :Cowbow: :idunno:

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Failing to find work.

Postby Kurtis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Justice wrote:I'm having a job interview tomorrow. :singer: I'm terrified, been rejected about 4 times for this kind of work. Will that change tomorrow? I'm thinking no, but I need to try to stay positive

Help! :Cowbow: :idunno:

Good luck for your interview, hopefully it isn't another rejection!

Annie

Failing to find work.

Postby Annie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Hope it goes well xx
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Justice

Failing to find work.

Postby Justice » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 am

I got it!
I still can't believe it, because I acted just like myself. And the case at the end of the interview didn't go so well at all.
But I still got it :0
Starting in 2 weeks :o

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Failing to find work.

Postby Kurtis » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Justice wrote:I got it!
I still can't believe it, because I acted just like myself. And the case at the end of the interview didn't go so well at all.
But I still got it :0
Starting in 2 weeks :o

Congratulations! :happy:

Bit of introvert charm huh? :P ;) :helmsman:

Justice

Failing to find work.

Postby Justice » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Kurtis wrote:Bit of introvert charm huh? :P ;) :helmsman:

I charmed the hell out of them ;)

Andy
MBTI code: INFP

Failing to find work.

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:43 am

When I was interviewing for my previous job (an employer I respect actually), I was completely upfront about my introversion. I brought it out without being asked, because I felt it important to be honest, and I know that workplace interactions (at least the dynamics of it) can be as important as the job. The employers respected my honesty and hired me (they did pause a bit when I mentioned it though). I don't work for them anymore, but they still invite me to parties (not that I enjoy parties, but it's nice to get invited out of love and respect). I'm not sure if it's always the best thing to mention when finding a job, but I think that if you are introverted, and they can't respect that, it's better to look somewhere else for employment.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator

Failing to find work.

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:37 am

Andy wrote:When I was interviewing for my previous job (an employer I respect actually), I was completely upfront about my introversion. I brought it out without being asked, because I felt it important to be honest, and I know that workplace interactions (at least the dynamics of it) can be as important as the job. The employers respected my honesty and hired me (they did pause a bit when I mentioned it though). I don't work for them anymore, but they still invite me to parties (not that I enjoy parties, but it's nice to get invited out of love and respect). I'm not sure if it's always the best thing to mention when finding a job, but I think that if you are introverted, and they can't respect that, it's better to look somewhere else for employment.

I've been fruitfully honest in my cover letter about my lack of official work experience because I grew tired of trying to hide behind a chirade that the job 'advisors' I have to speak to insist upon -- pretending to be all amazing and skilled and boastful when we both know that most employers will look at it and bin it straight away for being clichéd, dull and boring. I've had a few positive responses from employers as a result, one even saying he would give me a job the next day just for my honesty which was a confidence booster in and of itself, but unfortunately they considered me too far away for what was a part-time role at the time. I'm not sure it's helping so much in my very local area, I think I've burnt out somewhat as far as my immediate vicinity is concerned.

I think employers do appreciate honesty and value you it quite dearly, but it also depends on what the demand is as well because their priority will be finding someone who can actually do the job on minimum of training, and it's that which I'm fighting against with every single application I send off. It's so frustrating given the kind of work I'm applying for can be done with a very minimalistic of training.

:D Being honest about your introversion would be a brilliant thing, and I'm glad that they actually paused in your case to think about it rather than glossing over it (which is something my last boss would've done and seen it as some excuse) which means that the employer wasn't stupid and takes into account things like that. Anything that makes them think is a pretty good thing. It could go either way mind, they might see it as a problem if they run a very extraverted team, but they could also see it as a 'quiet man to hone in the loudness' kind of thing. I would say bring it up if you saw the need to bring it up, if you find the interviewers very extraverted then it might be important reference to let them know, but if the interviewer is introverted himself then I don't think it's too much of a push to assume that the team you'll end up working with might be introverted as well. I say go with your instinct and / or when you think you need to let them know.

fufufu

Failing to find work.

Postby fufufu » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:43 am

Come as you are, don't be consensual, you're gonna be liked, be disliked, and so much the better.
If you are friend with everyone, you are friend with noone.

Return to “Careers and Work”