Wandering eyeballs

Talk about things related to careers or working.
Lorn

Wandering eyeballs

Postby Lorn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:48 pm

How do you guys handle nosy coworkers who aren't technically out of bounds?

I work as a peer tutor on campus, and our little office has a new tutor with wandering eyeballs. He always seems to have a rather obvious eye on what everyone else is doing, whether I'm filing some papers away or reading from a book.

Our job involves being attentive to what's going on and who might need some questions answered, but at least I can be subtle about watching people who are working because I understand that it can put people on edge or I could be looking at an e-mail inbox/private student data. I also don't track what my coworkers are doing because they're not my responsibility, and treating their activities like my responsibility is rude.

New Guy is at least 10 years older than the rest of us and tends to wander around when he's not doing something like a teacher checking progress in the classroom (the rest of us tidy up, skim a book from a shelf, or chat), so I almost get the impression that he thinks he's in an unofficial position of authority here.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Wandering eyeballs

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:15 pm

Get everyone together, talk about how he's all up in everyone's business, then all of you go tell him to cut it out. Also, you could tell whoever's in charge of y'all about it
Hi, mac!

Lorn

Wandering eyeballs

Postby Lorn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm

SandWshooter wrote:Get everyone together, talk about how he's all up in everyone's business, then all of you go tell him to cut it out. Also, you could tell whoever's in charge of y'all about it

I've tried asking Starey McEyeballs if he needs something when he's doing so without results. It might have more effect if everyone says something, but the other tutors are very laid-back and don't really speak their minds much. I'm not sure if they'd be up for it.

SandWshooter

Wandering eyeballs

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Lorn wrote:
I've tried asking Starey McEyeballs if he needs something when he's doing so without results. It might have more effect if everyone says something, but the other tutors are very laid-back and don't really speak their minds much. I'm not sure if they'd be up for it.

Have you tried being super blunt and saying straight-up that you don't appreciate it?
Hi, mac!

Lorn

Wandering eyeballs

Postby Lorn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 pm

SandWshooter wrote:Have you tried being super blunt and saying straight-up that you don't appreciate it?

Haha, not yet! I have to be around these people often so I try not to do anything that's going to make me loathe having to come into work. Speaking my mind with people I can take or leave is one thing, but I really appreciate a work environment where nobody is actively against me.

I suppose it's already pretty unpleasant having to come in and have someone's eyes on me all the time.

SandWshooter

Wandering eyeballs

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Lorn wrote:Haha, not yet! I have to be around these people often so I try not to do anything that's going to make me loathe having to come into work. Speaking my mind with people I can take or leave is one thing, but I really appreciate a work environment where nobody is actively against me.

I suppose it's already pretty unpleasant having to come in and have someone's eyes on me all the time.

"Dude, if you don't quit I'm going to have to confiscate your eyes" *places melonballer on table*
Hi, mac!

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Wandering eyeballs

Postby Kurtis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

Lorn wrote:Haha, not yet! I have to be around these people often so I try not to do anything that's going to make me loathe having to come into work. Speaking my mind with people I can take or leave is one thing, but I really appreciate a work environment where nobody is actively against me.

I haven't had much experience in the corporate world(!) but I would assume that standing your ground with people prying like that would be of your benefit, rather than everyone elses. It doesn't normally matter to me if I'm in a very serious environment or a very casual one, but if people are trying to nosey like that I tend to say 'can I help you?' or 'what do you want?' In a professional world, you wouldn't have it held against you unless you were constantly doing it. Sometimes the boat rocks all its own in the waves, use it to your advantage.

:fishing:

Return to “Careers and Work”