New job nerves

Talk about things related to careers or working.
EvilZombie

New job nerves

Postby EvilZombie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:18 am

Hey fellow introverts. My first post!
Anyway to the point. I recently just landed what I think will be the perfect job for me, it is a mobile finisher, which basically entails repairing damage to various surfaces, worktops, doors baths etc. You work alone which I absolutely am stoked about, however you do have to shadow a mentor for about 3-6 months whilst you get to grips with it, which is fine, I can handle 1 person.

My problem is I'm so nervous about making a fool of myself or messing up. When I was about 17 I was in a rudimentary construction training program and was put on placement with some older guy, basically doing up old council houses before a new tenant moved in. This guy was evil. I only lasted a day, everything I did he balked at, belittled me at every opportunity and basically, made me feel really stupid. I believe the knock on effect of this has affected my confidence throughout my working career.

I guess my question is, how do I get past it? In hindsight, the guy was an asshole. I was 17, didn't know my arse from my.elbow, and instead of building me up this guy did very real lasting damage to my confidence. I've excelled at every job I've had since, however the initial nerves are unbearable, and I've turned jobs down in the past because of it.

I've passed my first weeks training at the company head office (a very socially draining week!) and am due to meet my mentor on Monday to start my on the job training, I spoke to him on the phone and he seemed really friendly, but I just can't get over that nagging fear of being humiliated.

Anyone else similar? Any thoughts and opinions would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading

bunnysmom25

Re: New job nerves

Postby bunnysmom25 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi!, I noticed i'm too late to give you a response BEFORE you started work. I'm very curious how your first day went? I have similar issues when starting a new job, but i have recently gotten better at coping by repetitive self encouragement and continuous reminders that its ALWAYS harder than it seems to get into a new groove. Nothing is ever as bad as you think it will be!

EvilZombie

Postby EvilZombie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to reply. It went really well! I was a bag of nerves at first, plus the guy mentoring me just chucked me straight in the deep end, which was a bit daunting but if anything made me realise I have the appropriate base skills required for the job, I just need to get used to the processes involved. I've got another couple of months of mentoring to go before I'm left to my own devices, so I guess the next challenge will be taking on my own jobs, which is very daunting at the moment! But I guess that bridge will be crossed in due course. I agree with what you said about self encouragement. That damn anxiety voice can get really loud at times!

bunnysmom25

Postby bunnysmom25 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 pm

No problem. I always dread starting new jobs. After a month or so i bet you'll feel right at home! You sound like you know what you're doing, so taking on your own jobs will just give you a chance to show how good you can do. I only last about a year at a job before finding a new one :( and thats where I am now. Looking for something different than my last job, but I am definitely stalling to find something new. I know its my anxiety holding me back.

Return to “Careers and Work”