Does Anyone Awkward Everything All The Time?

For discussions regarding relationships, including friends and family.
IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Postby IWHMA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:05 am

Hi friends. So I was just wondering, do any of you want to share any awkward tendencies you have?

I often have to hold myself back in my feelings. I'd be one of those creepy people if I didn't. Sometimes I mess up though and don't hold them back. The other day I was talking to a person I just met and I was like 'it's so great to meet people who think like I do!' but in more creeperish phrasing and also I told this person I was rereading our conversations and creepy things like that, haha. He blocked me.

Now, I am not that creepy, honestly. I didn't have any creeper stalker intentions or anything, it was just the way I phrased things that just came off as so awkward. I looked at what I wrote later and just, laughed hard at myself. It was just so awkward. I wasn't intending to ask the guy to give me children or anything; it was just neat to meet neat people is all. But I sure came off as stalkerish!

I feel things really deeply I think is my problem. So when I like people, I get super ultra friendly since I *really* like people, and when I am excited, I get super ultra hyper.

If you have awkward tendencies, what do you think is the cause?

Satchmo
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Satchmo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 pm

I believe I tend to do something along these lines. Granted it has been a while since I actually put effort into creating or cultivating a new friendship, so my recollection may not be accurate. I think that it stems from the inexperience combined with a lot of in depth thinking about the situation, the other person, or even ourselves. At least for me when I meet someone new I try to hide what I see as faults or I try to embody the type of person that the other individual would like, and in both cases I stop being truly myself. Like you I have gone over transcripts of conversations a few hours or days later and I see myself coming off as clunky and awkward but in the moment I am thinking about how I should act or what message I am trying to send instead of being myself. Maybe this is common in introverts since we might not get the same experience meeting many new people, or even get experience in being someone else.

IWHMA

Postby IWHMA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Interesting. It seems like your coming off as awkward may come from overthinking, whereas mine comes from when I get too excited and forget to think. haha. :D

racermark
MBTI code: ISTJ
Facebook: racermark

Postby racermark » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 am

I wouldn't think about what causes your awkward tendencies. It's part of your personality and how you act. We're all different. It may seem awkward but it's just some people take things way too seriously. For example, that person blocked you as a result. It comes with the territory I guess. Friends who understand and appreciate YOU is more important than looking at causes of awkwardness.

Interestingly, feeling awkward in situations is one characteristic of an introvert.
http://confessionsofahopelessintrovert. ... introvert/

Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Sunny49 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm

IWHMA, this what you described reminds me so much of a colleague of mine that I typed as ENFP :D

LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Postby LoneApothecary » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Awkward tendencies, eh?

I suck at re-establishing eye contact. If I'm making relatively consistent eye contact (which is rare in itself), and then I stop, I cannot bring myself to look the other person in the eye again for more than a second. This often results in my eyes darting back and forth between the other person's eyes and random objects throughout the room.

Apparently, my speech is also awkward. People say I use big words too much, and that I need to talk in layman's terms. To that, I usually respond with a chain of lengthy, insulting words that the other person doesn't understand. It doesn't make the situation any less awkward, but at least it makes it funny for me.

I eat slowly, and that makes all the people who are waiting on me to finish eating before leaving the table feel awkward. I assume this is because they think I'll feel insulted if they leave me alone at the table, which isn't the case.

Those are the only noteworthy awkward tendencies, the rest are ho-hum.
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

IWHMA

Postby IWHMA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:55 pm

That's true, Racermark. I wasn't necessarily trying to change the awkwardness, but sometimes I think the why behind things is interesting to know. And hahaa Sunny, I do know ENFPs who are kind of like that, too.

Apothecary, that's interesting about reestablishing eye contact. I think I sort of have that, too, but I rarely ever establish eye contact in the first place. Usually I will look at someone then look away really fast and keep doing that until I have a panic attack and sit on the floor or something haha.

Blink

Postby Blink » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 pm

I know you're not creepy. Some men like distance though and may misconstrue "obsessive" traits.

Return to “Relationships”