Are Relationships really very important?

For discussions regarding relationships, including friends and family.
Wordy

Are Relationships really very important?

Postby Wordy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm happy when I feel motivated to do something like a project, learning a new song, finishing a painting or just doing a good job.

Lately I've noticed how I prefer being alone, I'm very happy doing things by myself and when I'm with other people I just feel disappointed because the world says I'm supposed to be happy when I'm around friends and family. They say relationship is the most important thing in the world.

Is it really? Because work makes me happy, not people and now I just feel guilty for being too serious and egocentric.

Has anyone else felt this way?

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Re: Are Relationships really very important?

Postby Kurtis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:45 pm

You have to remember that the world at large isn't involved with your daily life. It doesn't know your history, your plans or your future. As such, it can't tell you what is supposed to make you happy and content. This is where self-discipline and self-awareness comes into play. If work makes you happy and content, then you should never, ever feel disappointed or guilty about it.

I find good relationships are a boost when support of some kind is needed, so it can potentially be argued that relationships are important in that regard. Bad relationships though can be harmful by comparison, so it's basically a game of what you can give and take in that relationship.

Earthenowl

Postby Earthenowl » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:12 am

In the United States, extroversion is the expectation, the norm. In classrooms, children are expected to participate in groups instead of learning solo, as it used to be. When you are brought up in a society such as this, it is common to find introverts feeling ashamed, guilty or as though something is wrong with them. If we as Introverts live as society wants us to, then we are thereby pushing our true selves aside, one can live like that before you can no longer find happiness. My point behind this verbose response is this, Make you happy, don't worry what others want you to be, in the end, you are the only one to take care of you.

Wordy

Postby Wordy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

I'm just afraid that I might be missing out. Perhaps at the end of my life I would regret not trying harder to hold on to the people around me. Maybe as I sit on the couch old and tired with only books and accomplishments for company I would feel truly alone. Maybe then and only then will I realize that the world was right, friends, family, love, memories, those are the things that actually matter.

Don't you guys as introverts have these same fears?

Optimist

Postby Optimist » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:12 am

I would have these fears. I have a small family, and a few close friends, and I would miss them immensely if they were not part of my life.

It is not easy to find, and retain people in your life. But I have felt much "richer" for doing so.

Mike908

Postby Mike908 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:19 am

Where is your guity from?

bunnysmom25

Postby bunnysmom25 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm

I have this fear, majorly. I feel like I don't understand relationships or how to form real and true relationships. I often feel like every relationship I have is fake. Then I peel off the fake skin when I go home where i'm allowd to be myself. I only feel like im true to my mother, two sisters and my husband. But im only 25, and I often feel like im missing out because of how I am??

Return to “Relationships”