How important is physical attraction to you?

For discussions regarding relationships, including friends and family.
Sunny49
MBTI code: ISFP

Postby Sunny49 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:34 pm

So, I stumbeled upon this article

http://lifeintheboomerlane.wordpress.co ... p-success/

What do you think?

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Postby IWHMA » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Fifty per cent of women said that physical attraction was important, while 123% of men said it was. Women identified facial features as being more important than body features, while men expressed a preference for women who had surgically relocated their breasts to their heads.

Seems legit.

Ignoring some of the outlandishness of the article, I'd like to say that looks truly do not matter to me. And people don't really believe me when I say that, but whatever.

I just see people as people until I meet them personally. They are neither attractive or unattractive until I see them in action, or know something about them as a person.

I was thinking I am very likely demisexual, which is kind of like asexuals in that they do not become physically attracted to people. The difference with a demisexual, though, is that they become attracted physically to people they love (and it usually takes a while).
(http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.ph ... Demisexual)

In addition to the physical incapability, I don't think it's ethical to look primarily looks. Or, maybe I just think it's shallow, rather than unethical. Furthermore, I think there is something cute about everyone, and if you look for it, you can see it, if you like their personality.

Dutchman
MBTI code: ENTJ

Postby Dutchman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Physical attraction is incredibly important to me and men in general. It can't be denied. Without physical attraction there will be no relationship. It doesn't even make sense to enter a relationship with someone you don't find to be physically attractive. It's not shallow, it's biological.

However, good looks alone won't sustain a healthy relationship.

Kurtis
Administrator
Administrator
Photobucket: kurtisict
Soundcloud: kurtismedia

Postby Kurtis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 pm

I find physical attraction relatively important, but I do not consider it a defining factor in anything. I do prefer girls to undertake some kind of attention to how they look, but this is restrictive in that I would rather they stay healthy. Girls who just plaster themselves in makeup or overpamper to their own looks irritate me.

scott85
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby scott85 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 am

Dutchman wrote:Physical attraction is incredibly important to me and men in general. It can't be denied. Without physical attraction there will be no relationship. It doesn't even make sense to enter a relationship with someone you don't find to be physically attractive. It's not shallow, it's biological.

However, good looks alone won't sustain a healthy relationship.

+1
People that don't understand you can't help you

IWHMA
MBTI code: INFP

Postby IWHMA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 pm

scott85 wrote:+1

This is why we need a 'like' option here, Kurtis.

Dutchman, when I read your post, I thought it was SnowCrow's, haha. I wasn't trying to single anyone out by saying it's shallow. I just think there needs to be a lot more to it than that.

Maybe I just can't understand what it's like to not have physical attraction to someone whose personality you love, or what it's like to have physical attraction for someone whose personality you do not love. :?

LoneApothecary
MBTI code: INTP

Postby LoneApothecary » Fri May 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Hmm, I'd say mildly important. Considering my own appearance, I was fortunate enough to meet someone else who (I assume) feels similarly. Physical appearance certainly doesn't hurt, but unless they're horribly disfigured or extremely overweight, it wouldn't break the relationship if they weren't overly physically attractive.

This may be a bit crude, but I'd take someone missing limbs over someone with brain damage.
"By all means let's be open minded, but not so open minded that our brains fall out."

NtroVrtdMe

Postby NtroVrtdMe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm

it is important to me but not entirely paramount.

Blink

Postby Blink » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:49 pm

As bad as it sounds to an extent it matters. But everyone has taste. It's not whether a person is good looking or not. It's just a draw. I love how you can look at a person you love and think they are so beautiful and someone else can look at them and think the opposite.

Pathfinder
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby Pathfinder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:06 am

I think physical attraction is important initially but looks are nothing without a decent personality to go along with it. The good new is that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. There are people who like fat, thin, tall, short, Blonde, Brunette, bald and so on. On the other hand there's probably not a lot of people who can appreciate negative personality traits.

swift502

Re: How important is physical attraction to you?

Postby swift502 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:01 pm

The day I meet a girl that doesn't have shit (makeup) smeared all over her face, I may actually consider talking to her.

Return to “Relationships”