Do you come from a family of introverts?

For discussions regarding relationships, including friends and family.
Lorn

Postby Lorn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Curious about experiences and how they've shaped your attitudes growing up.

My mother, my father, and my two brothers are introverts, and my sister is the only extrovert in my immediate family. I grew up seeing my father read and listen to music, my mother watching television or gardening, my older brother playing video games and programming, and my oldest brother playing guitar and building massive Lego projects. I never really faced pressure to be particularly gregarious or bring friends home until the middle and high school atmosphere started getting to me.

Pathfinder
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby Pathfinder » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 am

Hi Lorn. My family was a mixture. My mother was very extroverted while my father was an introvert. My brother is somewhat an extrovert while I am somewhat an introvert. Some here have suggested that I may be more of an ambivert which I am beginning to believe.

I've always interacted with others somewhat but was never pressured to do so, and have always found that I need a lot of time to myself. As I've gotten older I've found that I am pushing myself more to interact with others because I have less desire to do so and I know that the kiss of death for friendships is to say "not tonight" one to many times.

I was a "bad boy" in school so I had a very small circle of friends and not many outsiders had the nads to bother us, so not much pressure to interact...lol.

Lazuli5000

Postby Lazuli5000 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 am

My father is very quiet and calm. A friend when I was a kid told me that my dad scared him, because he didn't really speak. A lot of other friends had fathers that would joke around with you... not my dad!

So now I have somewhat of the same demeanor. Although I'm not nearly as quite or unemotional.

I have a sister who is very logical and into studying things. My mother is a non-stop talker, but she prefers to be left alone a lot too.

Mads
MBTI code: ISTP

Postby Mads » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:24 pm

My grandparents from my mother side are both introverts. From my father's side my grandfather is an extreme introvert and my grandmother an extrovert.

My mother is definetely ambivert. I dont see my father often since my parents divorced when I was 14, but he has a personality similar to mine: he's an introvert but condicioned himself to be around people, he's probably an INTP or ISTP like me.

My younger brother is an introvert and my older sister an extrovert.

Annie
MBTI code: INFJ

Postby Annie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:01 pm

I grew up with my mother and father until I was 10. I am unsure if my father is introvert or not. He loves talking and meeting new people but at the same time he spends a lot of time alone...

My mother is a confident introvert.
I don't like seagulls...

Scottish INFJ

Snowcrow
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Snowcrow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:51 pm

My dad and my grandad are both introverts. However they both married extroverts.
Also my brother, like me, is very introverted.
My sister is extroverted.

SandWshooter
MBTI code: ISTJ

Postby SandWshooter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:43 am

N/A; developed in US DOD lab at the tail end of Cold War for the sole purpose of stickin' Commies, let loose because war was over by time I was finished
Hi, mac!

Mads
MBTI code: ISTP

Postby Mads » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 pm

SandWshooter wrote:N/A; developed in US DOD lab at the tail end of Cold War for the sole purpose of stickin' Commies, let loose because war was over by time I was finished

Don't worry, your time may come again, soon. :Cowbow:

Tsuki
MBTI code: INFJ

Postby Tsuki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Both my parents seem to be extroverts while my brother seems to be an introvert.
However my brother is very good at social situations so I wonder if he's more of an ambivert. Needless to say I'm the only introvert here which sometimes makes me seem like the odd one out haha.

anasupertramp27

Postby anasupertramp27 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:44 am

My dad is a complete extrovert, we can't get that man to shut up. My mom in more like me in a way... in the sense that she doesn't like to be confronted with social-surprises (like people showing up unannounced, people calling to invite her out with 1 hour notice, things like that) but she can be a social butterfly if she needs to be and for as long as she needs to. Me on the otherhand, I can act extroverted for a couple of hours and then I shut down. My brother is just shy I think, when meeting new people, but definetely not an introvert. He has a large group of friends and spends so much time answering his cell and coming and going, I don't know how he takes it.

fufufu

Postby fufufu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:22 am

Ma family is a mixture too. It is 3 against 3. But introvert doesn't mean shy. In fact, I'm the only one in the family not to "hide" my introvert traots and to preserve this side of myself.
I know the two others in my family being introverts imitate the sociable person but are introverts in themselves.
I think many introverts can hide some of their introverts traits but they always end up being tracked.
Look at some TV stars such as Emma Watson, she said to the media she was an introvert, I found it brave ! I told myself that she's socially awkward, but she's got talent, and she lives with, and even tells about it publicly, and that she's such a wondeful person ! I love her personality.

Andy
MBTI code: INFP

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:34 am

I think my father was a bit of an extrovert, though he tends to avoid people these days so I don't know. He normally does know how to speak up in parties though.

My mother, and two sisters are both introverts.

murasaki
MBTI code: INFP

Postby murasaki » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:20 pm

My entire family is made of extroverted people. They don't seem to understand the concept of being an introvert. Sometimes it was a nightmare. There were lots of pressure for me to socialize and make friends, while I just wanted to be left alone. When I was a kid my mother used to send me to a summer colony with other children. Or she obliged me to go out even against my will. She never respected the fact that I was an introvert, and it created all kinds of problems to me. Specially identity problems. I was really confused about who I was.

Orientalist
MBTI code: ISFJ

Postby Orientalist » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 am

My father was more of an introvert than me. One nephew is moderately introverted, the other the most extrovert you can imagine.
If the truth hurts, you ain't livin' right.

Justwatching
MBTI code: INTJ

Postby Justwatching » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:05 pm

My father is fairly balanced (omnivert). Mother and sister are extroverts. Frequently get told that they "worry" about me because I spend what they deem to be too much time alone.

Return to “Relationships”